Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dora the explorer - farrowing outdoors.  (Read 5351 times)

fairhaven

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Norfolk
    • The Hazy Rainbow
Dora the explorer - farrowing outdoors.
« on: July 24, 2012, 01:12:44 pm »
Hi
 We have just been lucky enough to set up with our 1st Large Blacks,  One of the girls (Dorothy) farrowed wonderfully... Teats leaked milk on the Friday, went into her farrowing pen with no problems, settled well & had 8 happy, healthy piglets on the Sunday. :thumbsup:    Dora, on the other hand is the more bolshy of the 2  ::)  and when she started leaking milk from her teats on saturday and we put her into her farrowing pen she broke out, (Twice in 1 hr)  Rather than upsetting her further & risking her killing the babies out of stress at being shut in, we have left the pen door off so she can farrow where she feels happier... It's now tuesday afternoon, lots of leaky milk & a very hot, fed up sow - She seems to alternate between the pen & a corner of the small woodland area at the side of the paddock.... It is secure, cool & private down there,  Will she be ok farrowing outside?   (I know it's probably a silly question in this heat, as she just wants to be comfy & cool, But these are our first pigs & would like to know what other more experienced pig keepers would advise.  :pig:
Sheep: North Ronaldsay & 4 Horned Hebridean - We also breed & exhibit 3 breeds of rabbit - Chinchilla, Deilenaar (rare breed) & Colour Pointed English Angora.

robert waddell

Re: Dora the explorer - farrowing outdoors.
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 01:18:54 pm »
leave her to get on with it they know the weather better than we do :farmer:

trying

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Lincs Notts border
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 06:55:08 am »
leave her to get on with it they know the weather better than we do :farmer:
They may know the weather but for such intelligent animals they can be THICK, our Lop sow last year had her litter right in the middle of the field, no shade and very hot, she had access to a lovely block built pig house or even the shade of the trees but no she plonked down right in the middle, she stayed there for three days befor deciding to take her young inside by which time their ears had curled up like sausage rolls, not a good look for a lop but they did come right in the end

fairhaven

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Norfolk
    • The Hazy Rainbow
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 08:22:53 am »
 :pig: Dora started off last night, The one night I left her for a few hours sleep...
 This morning she had just had 4 babies when I went down there, whilst waiting with her there was a squeal from the woodland corner (About 40ft away across the mud)  On looking, I then brought back 3 live ones to put to her that she had had in a nest outside.  (also found 3 dead)  Hubby is with her while I have a coffee, I cant shut her & babies up as she will go mad but am reluctant to let her have access to outdoors - Will she keep them together or leave them & lose them?    It's going to be another hot day so I'm sure she will want to go to her woodland nest, Am I right in thinking that all I can do is watch her or do I put a 6" board across the pen so that she can go out but not the babies?  :-\ 

Help!!   :fc:
Sheep: North Ronaldsay & 4 Horned Hebridean - We also breed & exhibit 3 breeds of rabbit - Chinchilla, Deilenaar (rare breed) & Colour Pointed English Angora.

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 09:19:31 am »
Yes, put a board across the doorway, Dora will get over it but it'll keep the piglets in for a couple of days.
The other thing you can try (if you do want to shut her in) is giving her a can of sweetheart stout or two, this will should her relax a bit and adjust to being inside (like Stresnil, but without the hassle of injecting  :thumbsup:)
Congratulations on your babies - photo's please !  ;D

robert waddell

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 09:39:43 am »
up in Scotland we recommend sweetheart stout but south of the border it is not available    even pear cider will do or Guinness
obviously she is very unsettled if she is having them all over the place  and may just not be a good mother this time round even if you get your way with her and bring her indoars
did she make a nest  and was there material available for her to make a nest :farmer:

Tamsaddle

• Joined May 2011
  • Hampshire, near Portsmouth
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2012, 09:44:44 am »
Don't worry Mackeson's stout is just as good (for calming down tetchy sows) - Tamsaddle

fairhaven

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Norfolk
    • The Hazy Rainbow
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2012, 10:38:10 am »
The nest in the woods was beautiful, lovely & neat with branches, twigs & leaves, but in the pen even with plenty of shavings & a little straw she didn't make a nest, looks like she maybe came up for a drink or to see if her breakfast was there & just flopped down to have the rest of the babies.
Just now left her fast asleep, with 8 babies all suckling and a 6" board across the doorway, I will post a photo later  ;D
I will give her a couple of cans of guiness this morning & see if that helps to keep her settled either in or near the pen - I haven't had a drink since having the kids (Got 4 kids under 6yrs old) And guiness used to be one of my favourites (Along with caffreys)  Maybe a swig or 2 won't hurt me either!
Temperament wise she is the more bolshy & stubborn of our girls, and if she decides to go off somewhere there's not much to do with her... Just hoping now that she has some maternal instincts  :fc:     

fairhaven

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Norfolk
    • The Hazy Rainbow
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2012, 07:50:23 pm »
 :thumbsup:
Had a good day, Dora sleeping mostly & all 8 babies are feeding well so far.  Photo was taken at about 6hrs old.

Thanks for all the advice - much appreciated.    I know where to come for advice about boars & mating later on!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 07:53:41 pm by fairhavenfarm »

HappyHippy

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2012, 07:59:40 pm »
Lovely  :pig: :pig: :pig:
Glad they're all doing well  :thumbsup:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2012, 09:45:18 pm »
Congratulations! Hope mum and pigglies continue to do well.

Did you find the Guinness helped? :innocent:

fairhaven

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Norfolk
    • The Hazy Rainbow
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2012, 09:56:44 pm »
Hi
 Thank you and yes  :fc:  lets hope that they keep doing ok,  The guiness seemed to help, either that or she is just exhausted - She has slept for most of the day, she half woke up for a belly rub (After grunting at the babies to put them in a corner far away)  So I'm thinking that if she is mildly protective of them she will be ok as a mum?

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2012, 09:55:08 pm »
Mum and babies look very settled in your piccie  :love:

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2012, 08:41:33 am »
They look a lovely litter :) :pig:

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2012, 09:04:39 am »
lovely  :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS