Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pig weights.  (Read 5734 times)

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
Pig weights.
« on: May 05, 2009, 09:43:06 pm »
I've just calculated the weights of my Tamworth pigs. They seem very contented and have had no sickness, bar a case of worms in one (now 58 1/2 kg in weight) when we first got her.

Their weights are as follows:

4 1/2 months old : 56 kg and 58 1/2 kg respectively (unsure of how long they were suckled for, they were on nuts when I purchased them)

4 months : only 36 kgs (was small when I got her, suckled for eight weeks)

Are these weights ok, or around the average?

Morgan

The Relic

• Joined Mar 2009
  • County Down
Re: Pig weights.
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 10:11:32 pm »
not sure morgan but the are getting there.

got an email from gavin my girls will be ready for collection from the 17th.

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 10:30:32 pm »
Are you getting Rita's? We picked one up on Saturday, she's an absolutely smashing pig. I think Gavins are a little smaller than what I got first as his piglets are weaned naturally, I get the impression that the other two were fed on weaner or grower nuts, and thus the difference in size. The only problem is that it puts the poor Ruby at the lower end of the pecking order, but she's learning to hold her own!!  I'm thinking of introducing the Ruby slowly to the Rita, as she is currently of a quiet disposition. To date we have a Glen boar, and Golden Rose, Rita and Ruby gilts. The kids just love them!!

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 10:16:08 pm »
Hello,

The pigs The Relic is getting is a Ruby and a Lucky Lass.

Cheers

Gavin

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 10:36:22 pm »
How am I doing on weights though Gavin?

By the way, I prefer the naturally reared  ;) If I didn't i'd be stuffing my little piggies full of all that GM crap that others feed their poor pigs

The Relic

• Joined Mar 2009
  • County Down
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 10:37:31 pm »
There we go one of each Morgan.

it will be either monday 18th or wednesday 20th for collection just waiting on confirmation on the transport. is this ok Gavin.

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 10:57:33 pm »
Hello,

Need to know what the OH (and farm manager !) is working (she's a nurse) - won't know until next week. I have the day job to help pay for it all.

Morgan - the weights are dependent on how they were reared initially. All our pigs are generally born & reared outside. A pig born and reared in a shed will be heavier as they are not using any energy charging around the fields or keeping warm.
We've never been too scientific with the weights - our main aim is to ensure that our pigs have a happy existence before their end. To this effect we ensure that they have a good condition and are not too fat. They generally kill out between 70 - 80 kgs at 11 months with no double layer of fat.

Cheers

Gavin

The Relic

• Joined Mar 2009
  • County Down
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2009, 11:00:59 pm »
sound gavin

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2009, 11:41:06 pm »
That sounds about right Gavin, they were indoor pigs with very little run around area, which explains alot. They certainly make the most of their freedom here though, you'd laugh if you saw them running around with the kids....as happy as pigs in (a field of grass!).

Morgan

The Relic

• Joined Mar 2009
  • County Down
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2009, 11:07:10 am »
Gavin have the transport sorted so let me know what day suits you

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2009, 01:35:49 pm »
OK Mr relic  : )

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS