Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What's everyone up to today?  (Read 82699 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: What's everyone up to today?
« Reply #270 on: October 05, 2012, 06:08:17 pm »
Also made two cheeses (now in press) and planned tomorrows (oh so interesting...not) day out to test-drive some vans, my car was just written off... :-[

Oh, Anke!  What happened?  You are all okay?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #271 on: October 05, 2012, 06:08:28 pm »
What size of van are you looking at getting Anke? I have to say they are so useful, even the small ones.... You can get the small ones (ford connect/ berlingo size) with a fold down seat in the back. But the big ones are great- if I had was getting another one now I'd definitely get a higher roof though.... Even as short as I am I bang my head on ours!

Beth

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #272 on: October 05, 2012, 06:14:22 pm »
Also made two cheeses (now in press) and planned tomorrows (oh so interesting...not) day out to test-drive some vans, my car was just written off... :-[

Oh, Anke!  What happened?  You are all okay?
Drove it through a flood on the road, drowned the engine and it was 10 years old... but I had to do the "damsel - with two children - in distress routine for the first time in my life  - no mobile reception, so I just flagged down the first 4 x 4 that came down after me... :eyelashes:
Beth - I am (probably ) getting a Transit - long wheel base and high roof one - it will sleep three, take some (female!)  goats and all my clobber for shows too.... and I can stand up in it!

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #273 on: October 05, 2012, 08:31:41 pm »
and I'm coming to live in it Anke, so if you open up the doors and there's someone  :wave: , it'll be me, sounds good, they're a tardis inside I understand  :D
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #274 on: October 06, 2012, 12:28:40 pm »
I have been trying to make caramel with no success.  I was supposed to be caramlising some walnuts to go on the top of a cake. It will have to be naked walnuts now  >:(
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #275 on: October 06, 2012, 03:32:33 pm »
Never tried caramalised walnuts - sound interesting.

I've had a friend round to do goats hooves and another one to sort my laptop.  Now I need a rest before going to a quiz tonight.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #276 on: October 06, 2012, 05:15:51 pm »
I hosted a Soap making day! Katie and Goatlady from here came over along with quite a few other goat keepers. Very nervewracking but I actually enjoyed it  ;)

Apart from my little TV appearance last year, I've not done a demo before so quite enjoyed the challenge. Now looking forward to hearing about their soap making over the next few weeks - hoping I've dispelled some myths about how scary working with lye is!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #277 on: October 06, 2012, 05:45:43 pm »
Would have liked to have seen that, Plums.  Are you planning a tour?

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #278 on: October 06, 2012, 05:57:20 pm »
 ;D  quite possibly Mad goatwoman!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #279 on: October 06, 2012, 06:17:54 pm »
Wish you were closer (for soap demos and visiting anyway  :))

I've been buying sheep  ;D  :thumbsup: and selling them - much less  :thumbsup:

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #280 on: October 06, 2012, 06:24:08 pm »
Jaykay, I wish YOU were nearer for visiting! and I'd probably buy sheep off of you  ;D

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #281 on: October 06, 2012, 07:55:06 pm »
What was I up to today?
One of the tasks was to fit a plastic tap onto a plastic water butt that is taking water from a downpipe. Simples?
No - the area around the water butt floods after rain and the cellar ( 6 meters away) gets damp. However the water supply raises it's head in the cellar then it flows underground to the barn and so passes under the water butt ( one of them) that collects rain water from the barn roof. Well it should do unless we have a freeze.
The simple plastic tap connection turned into a massive exploration of underground working and lifting a drain man hole cover across the road. 2 HOURS WORK !!!!
Smallholders should never have plans or lists of jobs.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #282 on: October 06, 2012, 08:01:14 pm »
Smallholders should never have plans or lists of jobs
many a true word...  :D

Well, my day having started at 4am, I think it is time it ended  :wave: Zzzzz

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #283 on: October 06, 2012, 11:58:51 pm »
Our local twice postponed ploughing contest.  Lovely sunny day but the ground was very wet so the guys with trailed ploughs weren't pretty ;D

Lovely friendly event with good conversation and good food.  Felt good today :sunshine:
Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #284 on: October 07, 2012, 10:55:17 am »
The sun's been shining here for several days now... What's going on - this can't be Scotland in 2012? :innocent:

Anyway - done the washing, got out the rest of my broad beans - and now I fell wacked, because for the second time in a month I've got a massive cold, which is leaving me knackered after the slightest bit of effort. Grrrrr. Good excuse to get back to the knitting and reading, but I'd rather be doing something outside in this weather!

(And how come they've managed to get to the moon, and now even Mars, and not found a cure for the common cold yet? I've tried all the known remedies... ??? )

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS