Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Anyone know what this flower/weed is?  (Read 5637 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Anyone know what this flower/weed is?
« on: July 23, 2012, 10:47:29 am »
Its very pretty and seems to like the damp
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

LulaB

• Joined Apr 2011
Re: Anyone know what this flower/weed is?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 11:11:49 am »
That looks horribly like Himalayan Balsam to me.  Invasive and a pig, if I'm right.   :(

http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/organicweeds/weed_information/weed.php?id=96

Try not to let it spread and best of luck!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 11:16:57 am »
Yes, it's Himalayan Balsam.  It spreads by pinging its seeds a long way in every direction, so don't let those pretty flowers set their seeds  :o .  Very invasive.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 11:18:07 am »
Thanks both of you.  Luckily I only have a few stalks at the far end of the pond.  Better get pulling them up though.
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 11:21:07 am »
Isnt Himalayan balsam sometimes called Snapdragon as if you touch the pods when they are ripe they snap open firing their seeds all over? Smells nice as well.

fairhaven

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Norfolk
    • The Hazy Rainbow
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 06:32:07 pm »
Hi
I only looked at this topic from curiosity, But we have that poxy plant everywhere in our garden!!   We only moved in last year & it was badly overgrown and I thought it was quite pretty & the kids loved the pinging seeds.... So we left it... Big mistake,  >:(  All this year I have been pulling them up but they are still growing all over - It's a nightmare!!
Sheep: North Ronaldsay & 4 Horned Hebridean - We also breed & exhibit 3 breeds of rabbit - Chinchilla, Deilenaar (rare breed) & Colour Pointed English Angora.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 06:41:02 pm »
Yup, that's Himalayan Balsam.  Pretty as a picture and as invasive as they come. If you pull them before they seed and burn them before they seed you should be able to stop them spreading like wildfire.  :fc:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

fairhaven

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Norfolk
    • The Hazy Rainbow
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2012, 04:56:36 pm »
 :wave:  Hi All

In an attempt to be resourceful I have been busy harvesting the flowers from the himalayan balsam that is all over the garden, It has dried very well & kept it's colour (Purple, Pink & White) and I'm going to use it as a filler in pot pourri to sell....   :thumbsup:    And once it has dried properly it doesn't even smell like cat pee anymore   ;D ;D   
Sheep: North Ronaldsay & 4 Horned Hebridean - We also breed & exhibit 3 breeds of rabbit - Chinchilla, Deilenaar (rare breed) & Colour Pointed English Angora.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2012, 05:43:23 pm »
The pods are very amusing and it's quite pretty but it spreads  :o  so sadly the sensible thing to do is to glyphosate it  :-\

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2012, 06:54:23 pm »
Glyphosate not necessary if you've time to pull (before flowering/seeding sadly!). Hang the stalks up in a tree or hedge, they dry to a crisp and then won't root - if you leave the stems in a pile on the ground they can re-root where they touch the soil.

Bert

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Isle of Mull
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2012, 09:19:03 am »
I second what YorkshirLass said . It pulls up very easily . I know  unfortunately I have spent days and day pulling it up. When we started to get board we would make mazes through it  :innocent:

philcaegrug

• Joined Jul 2012
  • ammanford
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2012, 09:22:08 pm »
The riverbanks round here are full of the stuff and it's spreading rapidly. Seems to be more invasive than Knotweed !!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS