Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fox Problem  (Read 6928 times)

Templelands

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Strathaven, South Lanarkshire
    • Templeland Cottage
Fox Problem
« on: July 22, 2012, 10:12:57 pm »
We have a fox problem, with a fox pinching 6 chickens during the day. One right I. Front of our eyes.

What's the best way to sort it? I'm told poison is illegal. Not sure an airifle will work..

Cheers

happy larry

• Joined Apr 2011
Re: Fox Problem
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 10:40:22 pm »
Without being critical i would remove the last part of your post,fox needs a bigger calibre,no poison is lawful in the uk.If you let us know your rough location maybe you would get a local member that could help you out.If it helps im in Burton on Trent.

omnipeasant

• Joined May 2012
  • Llangurig , Mid Wales
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 10:40:33 pm »
The air rifle will work if your aim is good. Or contact your local hunt. Next door farmer will know who they are.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 02:32:54 am »
Contact the hunt.  It's what they're there for.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Templelands

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Strathaven, South Lanarkshire
    • Templeland Cottage
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 06:25:54 am »
Thanks. If I'd put am going to poison I would deffo remove that. I'm researching and I discovered that is illegal, so that isn't an option for me.

I'm in Strathaven, South Lanarkshire. I'll look into the local hunt :-)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 09:15:04 am »
Templelands,
I had a thread on the same topic recently called Fox Dilema.  The fox hasn't had any of our chickens yet but I feel it is only time as I have seen him lurking about several times.

Sallyintnorth suggested the hunt to me also. I have contacted my local one and they were very nice. I will need to pay £25 per year to join but they will sort the problem either by foot with dogs and guns or on horseback when in season (Oct to March).
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 09:32:07 am »

Unfortunately hunting doesn't begin until September. But you will, if you put an ad. out in your local farm merchants or livestock market, find someone to shoot foxes. An air rifle won't do it, not even a powerful one and although foxes are a bloody pest, they deseve a quick death.
I was advised to put out meat with rat-bait in it and can tell you I was very tempted but, so far, common sense and a bit of compassion have stopped me.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 03:16:47 pm »
If there is a shoot nearby, try the local gamekeeper. They are keen to keep fox numbers down as they will be putting the poults down soon. Started "lamping" around here now.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 06:33:56 pm »

Unfortunately hunting doesn't begin until September.

This is true.  ::)  Guess who gets the prize for the most useless advice of the week.  :dunce:   :notworthy:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2012, 07:45:42 pm »
Unfortunately hunting doesn't begin until September.
This is true.  ::)  Guess who gets the prize for the most useless advice of the week.  :dunce:   :notworthy:

Feels like bl88dy September here  :(

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2012, 08:20:04 pm »
Although the actual hunt may not begin until Sept your local hunt may go out walking with the dogs and guns as mind do. Its definitely worth contacting them. You may be surprised.
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Bumblebear

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Norfolk
    • http://southwellski.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2012, 09:24:48 pm »
What about the old "peeing round the chicken coop trick ;)  Hubby and the dogs do the area thoroughly and <touch wood,  :fc:> no fox attacks so far even though they live in the copse just behind us.....

graham-j

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Canterbury Kent
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2012, 05:51:22 pm »
Hi,your best bet wold be erect something to stop the fox from getting to your birds in the first place.A fence preferably electrified will help.
It doesn't matter how many foxes you kill,there will be another one along sooner or later.And one thing you an be sure of with a fox is,, if it can get to your birds sooner or later it will
Human and dog pee is just an old wives tale it doesn't work.
Prevention is always better that cure,but that dosn't mean I wouldn't be reaching for my 12 bore.

Graham.

Graham.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2012, 08:14:53 pm »
I agree with Graham-j basically. But the jury is out for me and human urine, as our boundary protected with that is the only one a fox hasn't crossed to get in. Hasn't got through the wire and hasn't crossed over the electrified boundary. But has taken a very long route round through adjoining gardens to reach the chickens it now knows are there. Twice in 4 weeks.

graham-j

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Canterbury Kent
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2012, 10:50:07 pm »
Hi,OK I admit I do it too but I have been told by a lot of people that it doesn't work,I certainly wouldn't want to rely on it as my only form of defense,but it can't do any harm.A good excuse to sit up by the pens and have a beer or two as well ;D

Graham
Graham.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS