Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pigs & chickens in harmony  (Read 3609 times)

craiglockwood

• Joined May 2009
  • South Wales
    • Website
Pigs & chickens in harmony
« on: May 29, 2009, 11:16:02 am »
Probably being a bit idealistic here but I am planning my little paddock and have this idea:

I have about an acre so was going to use half for veg growing and the other for a dozen chickens and 2 weaners to fatten up for slaughter.
I have read that it can be beneficial to keep hens & pigs together as the hens will eat the worms and grubs in the ground.  So....

I was thinking of building a pig shed with a ladder upto a chicken area above the pigs - this would stop the pigs eating the hen food and give the hens a nice raised roosting area.    Does this sound feasible?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Pigs & chickens in harmony
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 11:25:52 am »
You might need a very strong ladder, you know what pigs are like!  Sounds OK to me otherwise but I've never kept nor want to keep pigs.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 12:02:28 pm »
Won't the hens pooh on the pigs? ha ha ha

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 12:17:43 pm »
it might help the pig grow , chicken poo is the best stuff for growing things lol

Linz

Mr Pig

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 12:24:52 pm »
While the pigs are small, there shouldn't be a problem but be aware that pigs are naturally omniverous and have been know to catch and eat chickens, a high likelihood if the chickens start trying to share the pigs' grub.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 12:31:00 pm »
Our chickens eat the pig food and vice versa, its almost impossible to find a pig proof chicken feeder.  Mind you chooks dont get squashed in the rush at mealtimes.  With one very notable exception - one gilt who has long been planning a Sunday duck dinner - none of our pigs bother with the hens who stray into their fields. 

Farmer

• Joined May 2009
  • Sidway, Staffordshire
    • Farmeats.com
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 01:48:56 pm »
Hi,
One slight drawback - whilst the pigs may not be able to get into the chicken house, the chickens will certainly get into the pig pen - I've lost more than a couple after they have gone to sleep and been squashed by a rolling pig. My chucks are free range and often join the pigs at meal times or simply perch on top of them to sunbathe; I often find eggs in the pig pens and my wife and I watched one peck a sleeping pig on the foot until it made room for her to nest between its legs - not the brightest of God's creatures but the farm wouldn't be the same without them.

Regards, Farmer

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2009, 08:58:24 pm »
Hello,
 We don't actively encourage our poultry to mix it with the pigs as Mr Pig says they are omnivorous creatures. We had a poor chicken stuck in the mud with Molly (a Tam sow) who took a liking to it and despite it's squawks promptly ate the whole chicken in situ.

Cheers

Gavin

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS