Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Chickens!!!  (Read 4802 times)

ayrt1010

• Joined Jun 2012
Chickens!!!
« on: July 21, 2012, 09:30:46 pm »
My daughter started out with 4 and now 3 months later we have 14!!! I picked up a silver, a gold and a blue laced
Wyandotte today, we were only meant to be going for 2 and came back with 3!! Good job new coop is on its way!!

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Chickens!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 09:54:49 pm »
My daughter loves poultry. BEWARE ........ 2 coops, 3 coops, 4 coops and so on!!!!!!!  ;D   ;D   ;D

Always very tempting.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 07:52:16 am »
Ha, you're finding out how it happens  :D

I started with 4 black rocks and one little coop.

Now I have 8 poultry houses and 30+ silver laced Wyandottes, blue laced, buff sussex, cream Legbars and copper blue Marans. As well as 20+ ducks, geese, 5 goats, 30+ sheep......

Watch out!  :D

the great composto

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 09:06:09 am »
haha even at the start we decided to rescue 3 ex batts & came back with 4!!

omnipeasant

• Joined May 2012
  • Llangurig , Mid Wales
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2012, 03:25:23 pm »
Oh dear, is that what will happen to me with my 4 quail and 6 chickens?

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2012, 05:29:00 pm »
I must be the only one who has gone down in number (thanks to dear old Mr Fox!) I then realised that the henhouse Ive got really only suits the 5 chooks and 1 cockeral and no more, plus their run suits that number too. So unless I can persuade hubby to build me another run and house I will just have to make do. Plus, Ive got a broody at the moment and a couple moulting, so egg production has almost come to a standstill!

jools66

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Fife
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2012, 07:55:59 pm »
I started with a small coop and 3 Black Rocks
I then got a bigger coop 2 Rhode Island Reds and 3 Light Sussex
Today i picked up a Cream Legbar and a Welsummer
I have promised OH no more :innocent:

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 08:48:32 pm »
All classic cases of Morehens disease. Incurable and I've got it.

ayrt1010

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 10:04:56 pm »
I just want one more a lavender araucana if any one near Shropshire/Powys border has one!!

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 12:21:44 pm »
Yep, I know that condition well ::)

I started a year ago with 4 POLs, acquired 4 more in November from BHWT, then another 4 over winter, tho I then parted with them after realising I wasn't cut out for dealing with a cockerel and he and his girls left after a month or so along with their wee coop..

I've been yearning for more ever since, but it's the investment in another coop that is keeping me down to my 8, tho I know I'd be lost if I found a good size shed I could afford, it'd be full within weeks ;D
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Little Nell

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Ashtead, Surrey
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, 02:44:01 pm »
I must never show my husband this forum... he is already very suspicious of my plans!
Thanks very much to everyone who answered me re incubation times. we have just the one chick that hatched - a Silkie. so we had to go and get 2 more so it wasn't lonely (aaah). I got them from my chicken man near Dorking - they are Rhode Island Bantam cock crossed with Brahma? saw the parents. Of course they could quite possibly all be cockerels, so keeping fingers crossed.

graham-j

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Canterbury Kent
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2012, 03:21:46 pm »
Hi, another one hear,definitely morehens disease as Chris has said.
It makes you wander how many divorces have come about because of it.

Graham.
Graham.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2012, 08:27:03 pm »
Fortunately Graham we are both chicken lovers. Can't see anyone's OH having a cockerel for a pet in the house otherwise. Yes, he sleeps in the house and crows in the morning so we don't need an alarm clock and if he doesn't get a cuddle when he pecks us on the legs he throws a real strop!

the great composto

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2012, 08:34:10 pm »
hehe Our cockerel sleeps in the house too - in a cat basket  - he taps on the patio window till we let him in when hes ready for bed.
Keeps the peace with the neighbours

fairhaven

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Norfolk
    • The Hazy Rainbow
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2012, 10:14:21 pm »
Hi  :wave:

I am so glad I'm not the only one... I must tell hubby that it is perfectly normal to end up with more chickens than intended...  :innocent:     Last year our kids were given 4 bantams by some friends, we now have about 28 - 30 wandering around the paddock, They are great, every one of them - Trouble is we had planned on eating the ones that either didn't lay or that had no distinct personality, Not an easy task to find a boring chicken!   :-\   
Sheep: North Ronaldsay & 4 Horned Hebridean - We also breed & exhibit 3 breeds of rabbit - Chinchilla, Deilenaar (rare breed) & Colour Pointed English Angora.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS