Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: It started in March :-((  (Read 8346 times)

luckylady

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Yorkshire
It started in March :-((
« on: July 21, 2012, 05:16:48 pm »
Today just caps it all.  In March Chatterbox Charlie one of our cats got killed on what we thought was a quiet country lane to the front of our house (we really miss our conversations with her).  In April we lost two pet lambs Cyril and Dylan (Dylan was sickly from the word go and we lost him to pneumonia despite ours and the vets best efforts and Cyril had digestive issues).  In May we lost Mavis another pet lamb (the vet thinks it was digestive issues too and put the loss of the three lambs to the colostrum lottery of orphan lambs and suggested we didn't go back to that farmer next year).  We also lost Martha our 15 year old golden retriever who we still miss desperately especially for her enthusiastic spider and mouse capturing.  In June we had a reprieve.  July has just added to the heartache as today we have had my husband's horse put to sleep - vet thought he'd had a brain tumour or bleed.  Very sad day and few months.  :'(
Doing that swan thing - cool and calm on the surface but paddling like crazy beneath.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: It started in March :-((
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 05:18:00 pm »
Oh, what a terrible time you have had of it. Lets hope the year improves for you  :bouquet:
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 05:22:32 pm »
 :bouquet:

Remember the good times they all had with you.

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 05:42:31 pm »
So sorry you're having a rotten time of it  :bouquet:

omnipeasant

• Joined May 2012
  • Llangurig , Mid Wales
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 05:48:32 pm »
Sometimes it all seems to stack up the wrong way. here's hoping for better times ahead.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, 06:02:13 pm »
Sorry to hear about your rotten few months  :bouquet:

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2012, 06:07:45 pm »
If it started in March, it must be due to end soon. I hope so, I really do, its very unfair to have so much crappy animal stuff in such a short period. I wish all your other pets/stock long and happy lives, and you a bit more peace and happiness in the coming months! :fc:

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2012, 06:26:29 pm »
Sending hugs, it's rotten when you get a run of it like that {{{{hugs}}}}

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2012, 06:42:06 pm »
Poor you, Life goes in strange cycles , why don't you change your avatar name , it's inviting disaster? :bouquet:

luckylady

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2012, 07:18:15 pm »
Thankyou for all your support.  Believe me I'm not a 'poor me' sort of person but I just had to get it off my chest.  I know that death is part of life and in some circumstances death is the kinder of the two so tough decisions have to be made regardless of emotion.  Quite a few of our animals come to us because they are no longer wanted by their owners (Remy if you read this I don't mean Bugsy :) ), especially the horses, one old hunter was going to get sent to the hounds just because he had outlived his usefulness to the owners.  He came to us looking skeletal but we fed and gently fittened him up and my daughter started dressage on him.  He'd never done it before but took to it like a professional.  He had 3 years of happy healthy semi-retirement with us and died aged 17.  We took on a 36 year old perfectly fit and healthy 12h pony who was going to be put to sleep because the owner considered she took up too much of her time.  She had 4 years more of retirement with us and was PTS because it was time for her not because she was too much bother. 2 cats from CPL and 4 from rescued abandoned litter (one of which was Chatterbox Charlie).  Martha we had had from a pup and was part of the family for 15 years so that was a tough decision but it had to be done for her sake.
Dans - So true, it is the remembering of the good times and what we gave them that carries us through.
lachlanandmarcus - you'd hope it would end soon wouldn't you?  but.... two 12 year old cats - one just had blood tests and the other has minimal kidney function (was told after RTA that her kidneys wouldnt keep her going for more than 3 months - 5 years on and current vets think she is amazing. 12 year old golden retriever has thyroid issues, spinal issues and stomach issues but is actually happy as larry and pain free.  So I am dubious that the crappy animal stuff may end soon but  :fc: .

The loss of animals is indeed heartbreaking but I do acknowledge that others (and I) have lost family and friends and this cannot compare.

tizaala - I was considering that - it does seem a bit ironic at the moment doesn't it?  But... in the bigger scheme of life I think I am still a luckylady. ;D
Doing that swan thing - cool and calm on the surface but paddling like crazy beneath.

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2012, 07:40:03 pm »
Reading that I can't help but think how lucky those animals were to have you. Hold on to that.

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2012, 09:26:00 pm »
So sorry to hear of all your terrible losses. I really hope that things start to improve greatly very soon. :fc: :bouquet:

luckylady

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2012, 10:12:25 pm »
Reading that I can't help but think how lucky those animals were to have you. Hold on to that.

Dans
Thank you Dans, you are kind. :)

luckylady

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2012, 10:38:19 pm »
Well it might have been a crappy day with respect to the horse but it ended on a comical note.  We heard some mooing as we turned out the other horses.  There is usually plenty of distant mooing around us but this was closer than normal.  Didnt think much of it and went to sit out at the back of the house only to hear much rustling coming from next doors' orchard which runs alongside our orchard.  There was a most beautiful herd of cows and calves - looked like jerseys but I'm no expert in distinguishing bovine breed types.  They were happily munching on next doors' grass so we thought no more of it until one of them decided to push through the hedging in to our orchard and all the others followed (probably about 20 in all).  It brought a smile to our faces as the calves were so cute and the mums so pretty.  Daughter took some photos whilst I got on the phone to find out who owned them (apparently not next door).  Owner came and herded them home safe and sound.  Think I may email the photos to husband who is working away and claim to have bought us a few more animals!!  :cow: :cow:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2012, 06:25:40 pm »
Good that you are keeping your sense of humour.  It's so hard to lose animals.  I though we were badly off a few years ago when we lost two dogs in eleven months but you've had more than your fair share.  Hope things improve soon.  {{{hugs}}}  :bouquet:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS