Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep Shearer  (Read 6034 times)

Templelands

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Strathaven, South Lanarkshire
    • Templeland Cottage
Sheep Shearer
« on: May 30, 2012, 01:46:26 pm »
Hi all - any ideas where to find a sheep shearer in South Lanarkshire - we have 3 ewes and 5 lambs so just the Ewes need done. Have left a few messages with the local one but he's too busy to help. Google shows up no-one!
Ta! :wave:

Dougal

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Port O' Menteith, Stirlingshire
Re: Sheep Shearer
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 10:30:15 pm »
Contact the British wool marketing board. I might know of someone. I'll call him ad see if he has an evening free. He is a full time shearer so he might not be able to help. The locl machiney ring might be able to help or contact a local sheep farmer and take your sheep along th eday he is getting his clipped.
It's always worse for someone else, so get your moaning done before they start using up all the available symathy!

Templelands

• Joined Apr 2012
    • Templeland Cottage
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 09:30:48 pm »
Still struggling for a sheep shearer I'm wondering if it's worth trying myself?

Any shearers out there fancy doing my three Ewes.

Local farmers guy was too busy and wool marketing board are coming back to me!

Poor guys are looking rough we have treat them with spot on and check daily for fly strike.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 09:45:26 pm »
If they are tame and you can tie up or get someone to hold have a go.  I did mine standing like a horse first time. If you can get a decent pair of handshears (I got a brill pair but can't remember name but can be used for pruning also) and start from tail or neck and just roll fleece back as you go.  As long as you can get down below lanolin line it, cut slowly, don't pull the wool and just carefully slide the blade along you should be ok.

Keep the purple spray to hand! If I wasn't so far away I'd do them for you.

Templelands

• Joined Apr 2012
    • Templeland Cottage
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 09:57:59 pm »
When I saw Scotsgirl I was about to pick you up but Wiltshire is a bit far lol. We've seen some shears on eBay will investigate and give it a shot if we can't sort anything out! Cheers  :)

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 10:00:46 pm »
If it just 3 - do it yourself - its simple - no-one is going to come an shear 3 for you unless its a mate.

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
    • Somerset Pet Sitting and Dog Walking
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 06:14:29 pm »
If they are tame and you can tie up or get someone to hold have a go.  I did mine standing like a horse first time. If you can get a decent pair of handshears (I got a brill pair but can't remember name but can be used for pruning also) and start from tail or neck and just roll fleece back as you go.  As long as you can get down below lanolin line it, cut slowly, don't pull the wool and just carefully slide the blade along you should be ok.

Keep the purple spray to hand! If I wasn't so far away I'd do them for you.
Are the the jakarti hears????? I have just ordered my self a pair! I like the self sharpening aspect :o)
From 3 to 30 and still flocking up!

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 09:58:25 pm »
Ah yes that's the ones. They are brilliant but watch your fingers! They are VERY sharp.  Even if you do a 'specsavers' job in a couple of weeks it won't show!

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
    • Somerset Pet Sitting and Dog Walking
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 09:49:05 pm »
Got my JAKOTI shears today! I am so tempted to give in a go on a very woolly Poll Dorset lamb who was not ready for the shearer but now looks like she is baking. And seeing as she gave me the complete run around TWICE today tring to pen her for her Clik, she can be my guinea pig  :P  Are there any top tips for making the first cut??????????????
From 3 to 30 and still flocking up!

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2012, 09:43:51 am »
Watch your fingers Mallows!  :fc:   I nearly took off my left forefinger earlier this year with the footshears - lurid scar for ever :-[ i think.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2012, 12:15:46 pm »
Got my JAKOTI shears today! I am so tempted to give in a go on a very woolly Poll Dorset lamb who was not ready for the shearer but now looks like she is baking. And seeing as she gave me the complete run around TWICE today tring to pen her for her Clik, she can be my guinea pig  :P  Are there any top tips for making the first cut? ??? ??? ??? ??? ?

Def give it a go. Get the sheep sitting against you facing away from you then tuck the head through your legs so you have control. I start with the side as its less bony and just a smooth curve, Where the fleece meets the bare tummy area, gently press back the edge of the fleece and you should see clean fleece at the ends, then a yellowy line (lanolin) then a sort of break with very little fleece in a line, and then nearest the skin fresh fleece again, Cut in the 'break' (machine shearers go right down to the skin but hand shearers dont have to and a bit of fuzz is useful in this summers weather for protection!). As you cut, learn to feel with the shears where there is any resistance (might be skin) and look out for getting too close to the skin.
Remember its a welfare thing above everything, it doesnt matter if a hand sheared sheep looks as if it has afro cornrows as long as it is cool and comfy and you have taken off enough to be able to see the skin condition, any fly strike etc (watch out for any pinkish, dampish or very frizzled wool and investigate these).
If you do make any nicks (believe me they are likely to be fewer and smaller than prof shearers with their electric kits), spray with antiseptic or ideally a can of Alamycin (only available from vets) straight away as these will attract flies.
Any fly strike must be treated straight away by removing all maggots and infected tissue and spraying with Clik or Crovect (Clik has a longer withdrawal period but is a preventative as well as treatment, Crovect has a shorter withdrawal period and will treat strike but isnt so long a prevention period).
hope this helps!

princesspiggy

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2012, 02:40:07 pm »
handshears are so easy, i nearly took off my fingers with electric ones  ::)
i do my standing with a rope around their horns and tied up, if u have sheep hurdles, they dont try and escape.
wev just been shearing, lovely hot dry day, sheep caught no bother (  :o ), all behaving perfectly, half way thru and now torrential rain.
i do get a sore back tho and iv only a handful of sheep.
remember u can sell ur wool on ebay no bother.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2012, 01:07:35 pm »
CLIK  is an Insect Growth Regulator , any eggs laid should not develop ,odd reports of maggots hatching but few in number very small and stunted .  IT WILL NOT KILL   any maggots or eggs already on the sheep .    Same goes for VETRAZIN and CLIKZIN

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS