Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Broody Hen  (Read 1976 times)

ArosP

• Joined Jul 2012
Broody Hen
« on: July 21, 2012, 08:07:13 pm »
Sorry if this is already on here somewhere but i am new
I have had 8 chookys since May and they came into lay about mid june, they have been pooping out loads of eggs since then but now one has gone broody. I wasnt really worried and thought i would just leave her be but she seems to be getting lower and lower in the nest box and today there were only 3 eggs and a broken one on the ground.
Will she put the others off laying? Will she just come out of it in time? Do i need to move her?
I have no cockeral but they can hear the neighbours one  will thi s be a problem. thete are 2 nest boxes but she is in the one that gets used more
Any advice would be welcome
Thanks

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
Re: Broody Hen
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 08:45:53 pm »
hi
if you haven't got a cockeral then you don't want a broody hen (unless you buy in some fertile ones ;) )
you need to get her out of the box when she goes in (she will keep trying to go back)
its abit like getting the kids to bed = you have to persevere
take the eggs out asap, the broken ones may be her trying to move them- if they break clean up quick or they will like the taste and start eating ( another story!!)
cool her chest down with cool water
occaisionally we have had to remove a broody into an area without anywhere to nest to break the habit.
HTH
Mx

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 08:51:16 pm »
If you don't want her to sit any eggs and want to break her from being broody, pop her in a metal cage, something like a dog crate, and prop the crate up on some house bricks so that air circulates beneath her. Give her food and water as usual. I pop the crate outdoors during the day (covered from the elements) so that the hen can see all the other hens going about their business and bring them in at night so that they are safe from predators. It should only take a few days.

She won't put the others off laying as such but they maybe reluctant to lay in that nest box because she will be telling them to go away and not disturb her.  ::)   ;D

Hearing the cockerel won't be a problem. Some breeds are more likely to go broody than others eg. pekins, silkies and I don't think it makes any difference if there are cockerels around or not.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 08:55:30 pm »
Trouble with Broodies is you don't know how long they will keep going ArosP. They will stop laying and stop eating and will wear themselves out potentially -140 days is the longest I've heard of. Occupying a nest box is a problem as it upsets all the others and they can stop laying.

She needs to be moved into a dog cage on her own (but in sight of the others to retain flock membership) with enough room to get up and move about, drink and eat. You need to make sure she does. At night she can stay in the cage if she is secure enough and dry, otherwise she can go back into the coop but block all the nest boxes up. Quickest result will be had if the base of the cage is without a tray, but with mesh fine enough so her feet don't fall through. This allows air underneath her so she can't build up to the incubation temperature. She will then get fed up and stop -some in a day , some in a month. You can tell when she stands up all the time, her eyes are focussing properly and not 'glazed' and doesn't make broody noises or fluff-up her feathers. She can then go back to the coop full time and will restart laying about 2 weeks later. Word of warning -if you put her back too soon and she hasn't really 'broken' it is back to square one and start all over again. So if in doubt give her an extra day.

ArosP

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 09:05:04 pm »
Righto-dog cage it is. Busy tomorrow but she wont know whats hit her on monday! Poor girly!
Is it possible to hatch duck eggs under a broody hen? I want to get some ducks and wondered about doing that, only thing is i dont want to end up with too many drakes so would i be better just buying in older ducks?

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, 09:52:41 pm »
I have never hatched ducks but yes your broody could potentially hatch them and rear them.

You need to be prepared to dispatch or rehome surplus drakes ....... you can only keep one drake to several ducks otherwise they will damage/kill them by over mating. It is never easy to find homes for drakes/cockerels and often the only answer is to dispatch.  :'(

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS