Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: lame sheep help!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 5249 times)

lotte

• Joined Jul 2012
lame sheep help!!!!!!!!!!!!
« on: July 20, 2012, 10:02:56 am »
I have an old sheep who is lame in his near front leg. He has been gradually getting worse and now needs help getting up but not always!! He has no heat anywhere in the leg or foot and no foot rot at all! Vet has given him anti inflamatories but made no differtence!! This is the second one that has done this, he can put weight on it so not broken!! Help??????

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
Re: lame sheep help!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 10:17:53 am »
Could it be shoulder strain?  I know a few piggie folks around here who have it (their pigs  ;)  ) due to it being soooo wet & muddy, also some cattle have slipped over on uneven land that's wet.
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 10:30:33 am »
How old is he? Could it be arthritis? I've not had sheep that old but certainly I've had several old dogs suffer from arthritis - and it's beginning to catch up with me too  ::)

lotte

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 11:23:01 am »
He is about 18, we have a rescue farm, but is eating loads and looks great. Thought it might be that but vet has given him medication for that and made no difference at all!!!! Do you know any treatments for that??

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 12:05:31 pm »
That's a fine old age for a sheep, especially a tup  :)

Have you had a good look at his foot?  Sometimes something like a thorn or small stone can get wedged up in the foot but be difficult to spot.  It wouldn't necessarily cause infection but would stop him wanting to put his full weight on it.  The anti-inflammatories might take a while to show any effect and would not be a cure-all, so it could be arthritis nonetheless.   Have you had a good feel around and inside his foot, plus all his joints from the foot up to the shoulder?  You might be able to work out just where the pain is originating.

Obviously at some time you have to decide he has come to the end of the trail, but it sounds as if he is otherwise fit and well.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 12:09:15 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

FCA

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 12:43:37 pm »
I agree with what everyone has said about checking his foot and I hope that you find whatever is causing his lameness and that it is treatable.

If not, I do wonder if it might be arthritis and if so you may be interested in our experience of this which is the second last post in this thread - http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/index.php?topic=21203.msg202764#msg202764

I hope this helps.

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
    • Somerset Pet Sitting and Dog Walking
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2012, 08:26:08 pm »
I have seen a lot of lame sheep this season with quite well clipped, healthy hooves except the constant wet has allowed the soft hoof nail to open up a little and let tiny particles of grit out of the soil in which irritates the hoof inside causing lameness without any particular obvious signs (shelly foot but in maintained hooves). I cut the hoof nail right back, hoof phasted the little blighters and sprayed up inside and all over hoof/foot with Derma Phenox or Teramycin to guard against/treat any hidden infection and they have all come right after 2-3 days! Might well be worth a try!  :fc:
From 3 to 30 and still flocking up!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2012, 10:40:02 pm »
My money is on old age - arthritis or similar. If he is not in obvious pain, eating well (and importantly not looking very thin), I think all you can do is watch closely and be ready when his time comes.

Maybe just want to be aware that any passers-by may think your animal husbandry is not up to scratch, so make sure your vet knows about this and will support you.

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 10:47:23 pm »
One of my ewes was very lame and I'd done most of the things everyone else has suggested, but still couldn't find the cause. So I got the vet in - at first he couldn't but anything but continued feeling & pressing her hoof, suddenly some pus and blood squirted out followed by a long thorn! She had a shot of antibiotic  and painkiller and within a few hours was 100% better! Hope you find a cure for your old boy soon.
4 pet sheep

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
    • Somerset Pet Sitting and Dog Walking
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2012, 06:41:13 pm »
One of my ewes was very lame and I'd done most of the things everyone else has suggested, but still couldn't find the cause. So I got the vet in - at first he couldn't but anything but continued feeling & pressing her hoof, suddenly some pus and blood squirted out followed by a long thorn! She had a shot of antibiotic  and painkiller and within a few hours was 100% better! Hope you find a cure for your old boy soon.
I had this too recently with one of the Shetlands who insists on climbing up hte stock fencing into the blackthorn hedge...little monkey!
From 3 to 30 and still flocking up!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS