Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Poorly dog  (Read 5374 times)

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
Poorly dog
« on: July 19, 2012, 09:52:24 pm »
One of our dogs, Yanni, has been really off colour for the last few days  :(

He was his normal active self on Sunday - we were over at Loe Bar for a walk and swim (fresh water lake) with the 2 boys (now 3 years old, litter brothers collie/cocker/springer cross) and nothing untoward.

On Mon morning Yanni did not get out of his bed as normal and he was very lethargic so immediately we knew something was not right. However he did seem to perk up and was still drinking. He had a fairly normal meal that evening, then next morning seemed to be back to his normal self which was nice  :)

However, the day after that we had the same lethargy and inactivity in the morning - and he felt really hot. I rang the vet and they told me to make sure he was getting fluids - not eating was not too much of a problem but dehydration was a problem. So I used a syringe to get small amounts of water into him every hour or so and by the afternoon he was a bit more responsive. But after even a short walk he gets pretty breathless (but short pants) (completely unlike him) - I think I'd describe it as if he had the flu and associated body aches.

His brother is not showing any signs of illness, which makes it even more surprising as they do everything together.

If there is no change by the morning I am taking him to the vet - but I just wondered if anyone had any idea of what might be wrong? His eyes are a bit rheumy - but there are no discharges from anywhere - he just looks really miserable  :'( :'(

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
Re: Poorly dog
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 10:48:01 pm »
Gotz to be a vet trip I would have said,  :fc:  For you
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 11:09:45 pm »
Oh dear - I so wish Annie was still on here, I'm sure she'd be able to advise on this ...
From your description it could be a virus, but, I know we get warnings up on the freshwater loch here telling us not to let the dogs go in the water at certain times of the year - something to do with green algae.
Definately a trip to the vet - hope he's feeling better soon  :fc:  Let us know how it goes.
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 11:29:02 pm »
Are you confident enough to take his temperature rectally?
If so see what it is, it sounds to me like an infection but I am not a vet.
Not being an alarmist, but I would get the vet to check as due to the recent history of water, I would want to rule out leptospirosis (weils disease).
Good luck :fc: :-*
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 11:58:23 pm »
Sounds like he's picked up a virus or bacterial infection of some sort. Vet appointment if persists I think s :thumbsup: just like us, if not back to normal within a couple of days then medical treatment may be needed.
Hope he is feeling well soon  :fc:  :bouquet:

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 07:21:42 am »
Yes, plenty of nasties possible in fresh water, so it could easily be a virus or lepto. I'd definitely take him to the vets.
Hope he recovers soon  :-*

littlelugs

• Joined Aug 2011
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2012, 08:36:48 am »
could be as all the other replies or may be a sign of under active thyroid? hows his coat looking? a classic sign of thyroid is thinnning of the hair on the tail creating an almost zebra like tail. under active thyroid causes lethargy and depression in the dog but is easily treated with thyroxyl or soloxine. i would take to the vets to be on the safe side incase it is just a virus that need medication. good luck to the little fella  :fc:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2012, 09:52:33 am »
Sorry I can't help but hope he is better soon  :fc:
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 10:35:17 am »
It could be heart trouble or, as said, something picked up in the water. The panting would say to me heart trouble but do take him to the vet. I hope all goes well for him. :fc: :dog:

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 01:44:47 pm »
how is he doing, any change.  :fc:

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2012, 04:16:30 pm »
Hi All
Thanks for the messages and suggestions  :)  Yanni is much better today  ;D ;D

I have been taking his temp rectally - on Weds it was 40.3 which is what prompted my initial phone call to the vet. This morning his temp is below 39 and he was up and about in more like his normal fashion - ie padding around at 6am and wanting a morning cuddle  :thumbsup:  His breathing has also returned to normal. I did speak to the vets again and they said because his temp had dropped to normal range, and he was drinking and eating a bit that they were happy not to see him - but advised us to keep him quiet and not overdo things for another couple of days.

Very relieved  ;D

:wave:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2012, 04:50:17 pm »
Hope he stays fit and well  :fc:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2012, 05:07:45 pm »
Great news  :fc:
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2012, 07:10:41 pm »
Sound promising  :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS