Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Which breed - help please  (Read 5716 times)

PPF

• Joined Jul 2012
Which breed - help please
« on: July 19, 2012, 12:57:12 pm »
Hello all

I've recently joined this forum and introduced myself here http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/index.php?topic=25859.0

I'd like to get myself two or three sheep.  They will help with keeping the pasture good alongside my miniature ponies, but I'd also like a breed which is easy to look after and provides good meat.  I've heard that some breeds can be very skittish and can take to jumping fences  :o

Any advice would be appreciated.  I also have a CPH number, but I've moved area - can I transfer it or do I have to apply for a new one?

Templelands

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Strathaven, South Lanarkshire
    • Templeland Cottage
Re: Which breed - help please
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 01:01:29 pm »
Hi!

I've got Zwartbles. They were recommended to me by a local farmer who said they were great for beginners (my vet says no sheep are good for beginners) but we have to learn somewhere dont we!

I am told they are easy to Lamb too - which I will find out next year!

Good luck - so many awesome breeds out there  :)

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 01:12:02 pm »
.. I think your setting makes a difference too - if you are good lowland pasture I guess you have lots of choices?  I'm a bit high up, so was advised to go for a mountain breed and went for Beulah and Lleyn because of their reputation as good mothers (easy/outdoor lambers) - as above, I shall see about that next spring!!!!!    The Lleyn are common around me, but I chose the Beulah cause I liked the look of them and they have  nice fleece for my spinning.  Havnt eaten one yet - but they will be slow growers with more traditional (small) chops etc.  Here's one of my Lovely Beulah...   Apart from a couple keeling over in the winter  :innocent:  they have been no trouble.  Very steady, haven't got into any mischief etc :fc:  and quite friendly - the opposite of flighty, I'd say.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 01:14:19 pm by FiB »

PPF

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 01:13:23 pm »
Ahh, a friend has some Zwartbles and I've always thought how lovely they look.

What sort of cost are they each? 

PPF

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 01:14:55 pm »
Hhmm definately would like something easy as I may decide to think about breeding the odd one or two to keep up the supply.

Templelands

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Strathaven, South Lanarkshire
    • Templeland Cottage
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 01:18:29 pm »
FiB what a stunner she is  :-*

PPF - We got three Ewes with 5 lambs at foot for £800.00 - so effectively £100 each. I'm off to see a Tup tonight and think they were also advertising a small starter flock in the Market Place.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 01:20:49 pm »
PPF - if you are thinking about breeding replacements, then you need a tup of the same breed, so choose a breed which makes a reasonable fat lamb when purebred.  Otherwise use a 'terminal sire' such as a Texel, Charollais or Suffolk and either keep on crossbreed replacements or buy in your replacement ewes.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 02:26:48 pm »
We have Coloured Ryelands (hunners o' photies on the website), which we love. They are docile, friendly and produce fabulous lamb. They are good milky mothers. Generally they lamb fine (if not overfed, like any sheep). I suppose the one "drawback" is the amount of fleece, which is excellent quality but can be a bit of a pain at shearing.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2012, 03:25:02 pm »
There will be as many answers as there are shepherds  :)

I always reckon 1. Keep something you like the look of or 2. Keep the local breed

1. It's always nicer looking after stock you have a particular liking for or 2. Keeping the local breed means there's lots of knowledge about them to call on, they'll be easy to get hold of and to sell.

I used to keep Rough Fells. Beautiful, friendly, calm and hardy. But very big and wool not much use. Now I keep Shetlands. Friendly, hardy, many colours, good lambers and mothers, small, excellent wool. Not as calm as Roughs.

Blacksheep

• Joined May 2008
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2012, 08:11:03 pm »
If you can get along to the Royal Welsh Show next week you will be able to lots of breeds, talk to breeders and see the breed society stands so you can see which breeds you like the look of and find out more about them. 
We keep Zwartbles and are on a small hill farm at 1000ft, they are a nice relatively friendly and docile breed to keep with good maternal qualities and conformation for easier lambing, and the lamb tastes delicious. (we currently have a good selection of ewe lambs for sale) But there are plenty of other breeds out there to choose from and you can't get much better than the Royal Welsh Show to see most of them!
Good Luck!

Fronhaul

• Joined Jun 2011
    • Fronhaul Farm
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2012, 12:27:01 pm »
Look at the different breeds, go to a show or two if you can or do your research on the net.  The Rare Breed Survival Trust isn't a bad starting place.  Make a short list and then reduce that list by eliminating any breeds that aren't suitable for your ground conditions and then buy the ones that please you best.  You are going to be spending many hours caring for them so buying what pleases your eye is important.

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2012, 01:14:30 pm »
I concur, visit shows, visit breeders, read up, know what your limitations are. We were initially torn between Zwartbles and Gotlands but settled on the latter as they and we are both relatively small which equals easier handling. Most smallholder type breeders and likely larger scale too are happy to show off their sheep to potential converts! Take your time...

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2012, 04:58:19 pm »
And remember, if you get it wrong, you can sell them on and change breed. There's no rule that says you can't.

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
    • Somerset Pet Sitting and Dog Walking
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2012, 08:18:35 pm »
My favourites were Charollais...so I bought some.... then I liked Shetlands too.... so I bought some.... then I liked the look of Shetland x Charollais...so I bred some.... now I also like Texels (bought some) as well as Mules (bought some), bred some Texel x Mules but not until I bought Poll Dorsets, Ryelands and Poll Dorset/Ryelands as well as Charollais x Lleyn and Poll Dorset x Charolais Lleyn. My faves are still the Charollais but now I have a lovely mixed flock that I think is better than a flock of single breeds... i only wanted 3 at first too! LOL! Whatever you get, I am sure you will love and enjoy them and keep adding everytime your eye catching another exciting breed!
From 3 to 30 and still flocking up!

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2012, 11:38:35 pm »
My tuppence worth, get one breed, sheep are racist and won't mix, well mine certainly don't, this can be a bit of a problem when you're gathering them and their in two groups at either end of the field.
Get ones you like, you're gonna get intimate with them at some point so you might as well be doing it with sheep you like !  :-J   ;D  ;D
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS