Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ewe Vaginal Prolapse Research - Need some help  (Read 9798 times)

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
Re: Ewe Vaginal Prolapse Research - Need some help
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2012, 09:57:02 pm »
I have only had two types which have prolapsed. One was a Southdown X which had a badly assisted birth and had a full prolapse due to continued contractions, result was being put down as vet repair went horribly wrong.

My mule had a vaginal prolapse last year which the vet said was down to overfeeding of hay.  She went on to have triplets and wasn't carrying much weight.  This year she had a very slight sign of prolapse a day or two before delivery when I started feeding her hay.  So maybe hay was the problem.  She was only carrying twins this year though.

Hazelwood Flock

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Dorset.
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2012, 10:05:58 pm »
I have never had a prolapse in the Greyface Dartmoors (yet!), but a Poll Dorset ewe I had always popped out a grapefruit 3 weeks before lambing - inserted a spoon and all was well. Put up with it for 3 years then she had ringwomb so went on.
Not every day is baaaaaad!
Pedigree Greyface Dartmoor sheep.

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
    • Somerset Pet Sitting and Dog Walking
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2012, 10:13:34 pm »
What you need is somebody with mules.......  :innocent:
OMG Steve... don't say that....  |I have just bought a small flock of mule ewe lambs to be my breeders next year!  :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
From 3 to 30 and still flocking up!

omnipeasant

• Joined May 2012
  • Llangurig , Mid Wales
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2012, 11:33:48 pm »
We never have prolapses in the badger faced welsh. The mules are prone to this but over feeding seems to be just as important as breeding. We never lamb a ewe again after she has prolapsed, or keep her progeny. I think that is why we get very few.

sp435

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2012, 06:29:56 am »
Wow.. You guys are more responsive than seniors here ;) (FYI - seniors ~ higher authority not age)  :P

Okay.. now my question to y'all -

- Hilly areas - Does that lead to higher incidences of prolapse in your ewe?
- Mineral Imbalance - Does this play a factor? If so, then does it have additional effects too?
- Type - Which type of prolapse is more common - vaginal or uterine?
- Age - Is it more frequent in older ewes?
- Birthing - is it a factor? dystocia? may be?
- Offsprings - More the number, higher the chances of prolapse - yes or no?
- Docking of the tail - does it increase the chances of prolapse?

I'm sorry for the list of questions, but I have to explore a lot in a small topic. Hence, I'm looking for a possible cause that is unexplored and my work would throw light on it.

I would like to thank everyone again for their valuable comments and responses. I really appreciate your help. From these personal experiences I can narrow down my search and jot down the possible etiology (causes) of prolapse in ewe.

Sincerely
PhD

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2012, 01:21:36 pm »
What you need is somebody with mules.......  :innocent:
OMG Steve... don't say that....  |I have just bought a small flock of mule ewe lambs to be my breeders next year!  :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
Don't panic Mallows - of our 8 prolapses, not a one of them was amongst our 26 mules.

Having said which, on the moorland farm I did get prolapses amongst the mules - maybe 2 or 3 in 80 each year - but they nearly always happened once they were indoors getting ad lib hay / silage. 

Key things to note about mules - yes they are greedy (none of my collies is prepared to be on the ground between a mule and her cake  :D) but they are very friendly and delightful at the same time.  Don't flush them before or during tupping if you don't want too many triplets, feed to condition (never have a pregnant mule more than condition score 3), do scan if you can (otherwise assume all twins and you'll be 98% right!  ;)), don't cake single-bearers (if you know who they are), and with the twin-bearers, in the month before lambing, split their cake into two feeds.  And do feed twin-bearers plenty of cake - on the moorland farm we fed 2lb per head in the last month, split into two feeds - so they have less need of forage for their dietary requirements.  Make sure they've always got the appropriate energy/mineral lick available too.  It's eating too much grass, hay or sliage that blows them up and makes there not be enough room for the developing lambs.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
    • Somerset Pet Sitting and Dog Walking
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2012, 07:53:21 pm »
Thanks Sally... I do tend to 'do' my sheep a little well... hence me keeping well away from Jacobs etc.  I will bear my feeding and flushing in mind. But you are right... they are VERY VERY greedy and incredibly delightful! I am completely in love with them already  ;D
Lisa
From 3 to 30 and still flocking up!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS