Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fattening Billies  (Read 7978 times)

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Fattening Billies
« on: July 18, 2012, 12:59:14 pm »
Hi
I'm trying to get some weight on 2 whethers and a billy, goat mix is obviously too expensive for the amount the're eating and doesn't seem to be building them up much.
They are Toggs.
Billy is a chunky chap, whethers look more like 'girls'!

Do others 'fatten' males?
can I feed beef nuts or how do others feed the males?
what weight can I reasonably send them in at? (I think billy just starting to get a bit wiffy  :(  )
looking forward to advice, (apart from the one who says don't keep them, I already think it's a case of never again  :)  )

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Fattening Billies
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 01:32:47 pm »
Killing-out weight is roughly half the liveweight, so you can make a rough guess of how much you would get back in the carcass.

I don't feed my (castrated) males any different from the females, as they all have to share a pen. I feed goatmix and oats, may change to barley as its cheaper. I don't see why you couldn't feed cattle nuts if they are ok costwise. Mine will go onto diary nuts/oats/shreds when I stop the bottle.

Re pongy boy - I would bring him in sooner than the others if that is possible, in the abattoir I used for my goats they really didn't like to kill entire males... I also would think that the meat will get tainted the longer you leave him.

I handled some males at a show at the weekend, and the smell was already noticeable...

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 01:40:50 pm »
I handled some males at a show at the weekend, and the smell was already noticeable...
[/quote

It's always the quiet ones  :innocent:

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 02:35:35 pm »
We feed calf coarse mix, whole oats and adding a bit of brewers grain in now.
Billies shouldnt be given anything with sugar beet in it as it can cause stones
Our Nannys get 18% coarse mix, 18% dairy nuts , whole oats and a bit of sugar beet shreds
all have at lib hay
Graham

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 03:10:25 pm »
In all the 35+ years of rearing/breeding goats.....I have never had any problems with 'stones'  and all my males are fed up to 1kg of soaked sugar beet daily.    The main problem with SB is if it is fed dry.
To fatten castrated/entire males....feed cattle beef store nuts... this is the purpose of this type of nut.  It contains a high proportion of barley, brewers grains etc.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 04:12:46 pm »
Putting a slurp of apple cider vinegar into their drinking water should guard against stones. I have fed shreds to sheep, including wethers for a while, and most sheep feeds do contain sugar beet.

It is a good high energy feed, and still fairly cheap

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 04:20:41 pm »
[/quote

I am not quiet!  ;D  (as people who know me would confirm!)

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 01:18:53 am »
[/quote

Took me a while to twig this tch tch  ;D

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2012, 01:26:16 am »
Thanks all
They are seperate from girls, so I think I will start feeding beef nuts, (I would think much cheaper) and maybe a few well soaked suger beet nuts, maybe some apple cider vinegar, hopefully they would be away before any stoney problems anyway, whole oats,
I have some whole wheat, would that be OK to feed (seeing as poultry was drasticaly reduced by the sly red ***)

chickenfeed

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2012, 09:13:55 am »
we can get our male kids to slaughter weight between 6 & 8 months at that age they kill out between 38 & 50lb depending on breed( they are all dairy goats)
we feed on a mix of rolled barley & multi stock nuts both come in much cheaper than goat mix and ad lib hay.
try to get them ready for slaughter before rutting season as it can/will taint the meat on entire boys. castrates always look more female than male.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2012, 01:43:31 pm »
Thanks, if I can (vaguely) smell billy, will the meat already be tainted?
Sounds like I have to get to 70lbs+ to get a reasonable carcase?
I think he's got a bit big to lift and stand on the bathroom scales  ???   ;D

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2012, 09:29:35 pm »
I had my male ringed at three days old so he wouldn't smell but he also didn't get as big as I had hoped.  Be interesting to see what weight he makes.

Skirza

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2012, 10:24:05 pm »
We had our bt and saanen kids ringed last year and they weighed in at around 20kg butchered weight each. Didn't feed them anything special, calf rearing nuts, oats and sugar beet. They went to slaughter at around 7 months old.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2012, 02:15:15 am »
Is there a limit to how long and how much milk I can give the boys (from a bowl)? I know Wystend said not to give them too much milk, presumably she just meant from a bottle? 
Born in March. They are probably getting about a pint each.
The boys are picking up now they are out all the time, plenty of grass, hay untouched, beef nuts in a trough with goat mix as a little extra once a day (milk in morning, mix in evening).
Getting far too much milk for us and no more room in freezer.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2012, 03:44:40 pm »
There is a book I have just bought (Storeys guide to goat keeping for meat) and it has a table in it. If you measure the goat's girth just behind from legs there is a conversion to weight.  Saves struggling to balance on bathroom scales!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS