Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What is an enriched cage?  (Read 3576 times)

kitchen cottage

What is an enriched cage?
« on: July 18, 2012, 12:24:11 pm »
Google didn't help me.

I am on the BHWT rehoming list and some hens have come up... I want some just to give them a bit of a life, I have my own layers.  They are said to be "enriched caged" birds, what exactly is an enriched cage?

I am soooo excited!!!

;D

HappyHippy

Re: What is an enriched cage?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 12:37:22 pm »
I think it's just a cage with a bit of straw on the floor and some stuff to peck at to keep them slightly less bored than non-enriched cages  :-\
I'm sure they'll have a much better life with you  ;)

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 12:56:01 pm »
The "battery" cages were changed in Jan. this year to "enriched" cages. I think basically the hens now live in smallish groups and have a bit (and I mean a bit) more space than in the old system. The new cages are supposed to let them show more natural behaviours. I believe there is some space for them to perch and a nesting area of sorts. I haven't seen many detailed photos of the new system but I think they are still in cages stacked on top of one another and I am guessing that it hasn't gone as far as straw to scratch around in .... think its still too intensive to make that practical. I hope that I'm wrong about that .... someone on here may know for definite.

As HH says they are going to love being with you.  ;D  Enjoy.

Fowlman

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 01:03:39 pm »
Although a small improvement it's still too intensive. Token gesture in my view.
Tucked away on the downs in wiltshire.

kitchen cottage

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 01:22:01 pm »
This is going to get confusing.

I have my "pet" chicken, Emily, who refuses to have anything to do with the other chickens and who has a right strop everytime she sees them (she was the remnants of the other flock of 5 hens, 4 of which Mr Fox got in one night  >:( )

I then got given 8 chickens when a neighbour passed away of which half lay.

Between the fox and the new chooks I'd applied for 6 ex-battery hens..... so now I will have to put the battery hens somewhere else.  I propose to acclimatise them in my big foaling stable for a bit before moving them into a new coop..... off to ebay to find ANOTHER coop!! ;D ;D

plt102

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 01:32:54 pm »
We have rehomed 2 lots of chooks that are the ones that lay 'barn eggs' it is supposed to be the best way to keep chickens that is not free range. I was shocked at the horrible conditions. They needed a lot of love when they moved in but are now fully feathered and enjoying their free range life. They will love living with you!

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 01:57:19 pm »
Someone I know collected some "free range" hens that had come to the end of their laying time. She said hardly any were out there ranging and conditions indoors were awful. The smell made tears run down her face.

the great composto

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 04:24:59 pm »
I think the so called enriched cages with room to spread wings and a bit more space doesnt solve many problems - still a battery chicken with non existent animal welfare rating IMO.
I had four rescues but neither of them lasted longer than 18 months with me but at least it was a happy 18 months.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2012, 09:02:04 pm »
My understanding is that instead of 12 per square metre there are 9. A few 'features' have been added as a token jesture to their welfare, but it is still an absolute disgrace that chickens are legally abused in this manner of 'farming'. The so called enriched cage is still a tiny cage crammed full of chickens kept under red light to minimise cannibalism due to boredom.

Simon O

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Bonkle
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 12:12:05 pm »
I think the enriched cage as mentioned above is one with marginally more space, introduced in response to the backlash against the original battery systems.
I have been shown around a large-scale 'freerange' set-up - ie warehouses housing thousands of chickens with automated feeding, egg-collecting and faeces-removing systems, and small doors so that theoretically they can range outside and a few do. Frighteningly far from what we think of as free range, and illustrates the labelling problems when this is labelled the same as what we sell off the small-holding. This is what allows supermarkets to sell large quantities of free range eggs. Most people buy in ignorance of the true origin of these free-range eggs, feeling they are assisting in improving chicken welfare. Perhaps they are to a marginal degree, but in welfare terms it seems to me little different from a battery system; however this is the way to go for largescale producers and brings a price premium for them and for the supermarkets.
But looking at the other side how otherwise are people going to get supplied with eggs at a price they are prepared to pay?
Some similar aspects to the milk production/supermarket issue.
It can certainly get depressing thinking about these things too much!

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2012, 10:00:09 am »
I have rehomed quite a few hens through BHWT. (60+)  The condition of the hens varies greatly from batch to batch - some have been truly appalling >:( .  The ones I collected a week ago were probably in the best condition - they were termed 'barn' hens - although they are missing a lot of feathers they will recover within a few weeks.  And today they are enjoying the sun!!! ;D ;D ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS