Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: All This wet Weather is affecting my sheeps feet  (Read 7992 times)

Victorian Farmer

Re: All This wet Weather is affecting my sheeps feet
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2012, 10:02:55 am »
Further heavy showers, but drier next week?              . The longer range prospects are continuing to show signs of improvement

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2012, 07:18:49 pm »
Thanks for all the replies, its very much appreciated, if it continues to be wet in august I will definately borrow a foot bath, how often is it used? once a month? or once every two months?
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2012, 11:09:39 pm »
 One of the simplest treatments for foot problems, and already mentioned by Sally, is simple lime. The beauty of it is that it requires no skill or special equipment and it is particularly effective in this wet weather as it not only kills the bacteria, but dries the feet up as well.
Just put some powdered lime thickly on the ground wherever the sheep regularly go, eg gateways, troughs, under mineral buckets etc.  You need to keep adding more as it gets puddled up, but you will be surprised how soon the sheep's feet improve and for minimal effort.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2012, 05:15:18 am »
Thanks for all the replies, its very much appreciated, if it continues to be wet in august I will definately borrow a foot bath, how often is it used? once a month? or once every two months?
For scaldy lambs, 2% formalin every two weeks is the recipe.  I guess the same frequency if using Golden Hoof.  The adult sheep shouldn't be needing it to the same extent, so once a month or every 6 weeks should suffice for them - but they should stand in the formalin for a few minutes, up to 10 minutes, and you could make the solution a bit stronger for them, up to 5%.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

robert waddell

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2012, 08:13:47 am »
the lime works as well  but it has to be white lime or kibbled lime as it was referred to      it would only work in a dry year or some place under cover    don't know about the rest of you  but if i were putting it down this year it would be a waste of time money and effort the sheep have had no need to come to the water trough and it would just be washed away :farmer:

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2012, 04:08:06 pm »
Well I've got a pile of lime in a corner of a field  and I get the dog to drive the sheep onto it each day and it seems to have sorted all but 2 which were limping. These days I wrestle with the sheep as little as possible, but it looks like I'll have to get the foot shears and spray out for those two. Still better than having to turn a dozen over, or driving then through a foot bath and watching their antics while they try to avoid the liquid by going through on tip toe or by  balancing on the side of the foot bath.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS