Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Advice required by new owner of two acre paddock.  (Read 26436 times)

Abendigo

• Joined Jul 2012
Advice required by new owner of two acre paddock.
« on: July 17, 2012, 03:12:30 pm »
Hello everyone.

I've recently purchased a converted barn which has half an acre of garden and a two acre paddock. Despite trawling the internet I'm still unsure of the best equipment to purchase to manage this and I was hoping that someone here could advise me. My major concern is the current length of the grass in the paddock, which hasn't been cut for several months, and owing to the copious recent rainfall is now about two feet tall. Once the paddock has been brought back 'under control', I intend to mow/top it regularly to ensure that the grass never gets to this length again.

Despite spending hours researching this subject, of which I have no prior knowledge or experience, I'm still unsure of whether I should purchase a ride-on lawn mower, a lawn tractor, an ATV with a pull behind topper, or a compact tractor and topper. The paddock is level and fairly flat, rectangular in shape, about 600 feet long and 110 feet wide. It isn't badly rutted nor is it particularly stony.

I'm concerned that a ride-on mower just isn't up to the job. There is no way I want grass collection so I need something which will mulch the cut grass which I understand a topper will do. I quite liked the idea of a compact tractor and topper for its versatility (I'll probably want to cultivate a bit of the land once I've settled in) but several people have advised me that tractors (particularly older second hand ones) are forever breaking down. An ATV sounds like good fun but I don't know if these 'pull behind' toppers are of any use - they are certainly expensive.

Finally, whatever I buy for the long term maintenance, I'm concerned about bringing the paddock back under control. Will a topper cut grass which is two feet long, and if not, what are my alternatives? Vehicular access to my paddock is very limited which makes it difficult, if not impossible, to get a maintenance company to come and sort it out.

I would very much appreciate any advice that anyone can provide me with.

Fowlman

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wiltshire
Re: Advice required by new owner of two acre paddock.
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 03:33:45 pm »
It's a shame about the access otherwise i would have said get a neighbouring farmer into top it then put some livestock on it.
Tucked away on the downs in wiltshire.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 04:22:30 pm »
Abendigo,
We have a couple of acres but can't get someone in to top ours as it is stoney/rocky so OH has been strimming it.  It is taking a while, especially as its not stop rain, but he is getting through it and its looking pretty good. 
Maybe you could do something similar and then get some animals on it to keep it under control.
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

luckylady

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 06:00:38 pm »
ATV and topper works for us in the paddocks and the orchard.  The lambs aren't up to the job just yet!  ;D
Doing that swan thing - cool and calm on the surface but paddling like crazy beneath.

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 06:35:28 pm »
an Allen scythe will deal with it to get the length under controll then you still have to dispose of the grass , with limited access a tractor and baler are not in the equasion otherwise you could have 200 small bales of hay, another option would be to have a word with a local sheep farmer about sticking 50 sheep in for a week until it's grazed down enough for a ride on . :fc:

rockstar

• Joined Jan 2012
  • powys
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 08:44:22 pm »
We bought just under 2 acres last september next to our house.Secured fencing and also new fencing and hedge laying was done over the winter months. I have 5 chickens and veg patch on small area.Fenced of a piece 20x15m for 2 gos pigs,The main part i have temporary fenced in 3 plots, plots 1 and 2 i keep my sheep on which i rotate every 2 weeks,the 3rd plot is a small patch which i shall make some hay by hand for my sheep.GOODluck!!

Gary

• Joined Nov 2008
  • axminster
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 03:09:05 pm »
Second hand tractors dont let you down because they're old any machinery can go wrong old or new, if you want something small and reliable go for a kubota with an under slung mower and rear pto you can cut and also add attachments like rotovater etc!!

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 07:36:28 pm »
Abendigo....will you be calling the barn conversion  `` Me Shack `` :innocent:

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2012, 09:09:34 pm »
Hello and welcome from Durham  :wave:

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2012, 06:58:36 pm »
You could get it grazed, although persuading someone to put sheep on 2 acres might be difficult unless they are very close by.

ddangus

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2012, 03:39:46 pm »
Hello welcome from Angus.

I had a sizeable area of tall grass to get under control alst year and used a scythe but I have been using scythes for a long time.
Have you considered hiring a power scythe to get the paddock managable to start with.
http://www.hss.com/g/62146/Power-Scythe.html?gclid=CODT2J2QxLECFVJtfAod6j0Akw
There might of course be other companies local to you that hire similar equipment out. You could of course consider a two-wheel tractor ( BCS for example) and aquire the implements as needed. As you mentioned you have vehicular access problems a two wheel tractor might be the easiest to get in.

Good luck with it.

DD

firemansam

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2012, 04:46:09 pm »
I have just purchased a ride on mower, countax 600 with high grass mulching deck. What a machine! Hay length grass not a problem, 3 ft nettles with ease and brambles too. Says its capable of cutting a 5 acre paddock. Look on ebay there are a few on there.

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2012, 11:02:05 pm »
Whatever you do, I'd say you have to cut it down before you let any sheep on it... Sheep can't cope with grass that length. I'm seeing it at the moment in fields with grass no taller than maybe one foot; they eat the short stuff in between the long and leave the long coarse halms - nibble the seedheads possibly, but at two feet tall they might have problems reaching those!  :-\

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS