Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: help with rearing lambs?? please  (Read 5478 times)

kinderfarm

• Joined May 2009
help with rearing lambs?? please
« on: May 04, 2009, 02:01:37 pm »
Hi all

I'm new to this forum. I work in a kids nursery which is based on a farm, i must say this is no longer a working farm but once was. we have just adopted two pet lambs to hand rear as they were rejected from their mother. We have been given all the feeding advice from the farmer and they seem to be doing well, only got them yesterday but both are feeding well and very noisey and lively. only worry i have was one is very dirty from when it was born. it's crusty blood and goo and i was wondering how i could clean this all advice welcome for a totally unexperienced kinderfarmer lol xxxx

thanks kelly xx

Lisa

• Joined Apr 2009
Re: help with rearing lambs?? please
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 03:45:07 pm »
Sorry that I can't help you with an answer but I just really wanted to say; what a lovely thing to have done (adopted the lambs) and that I'm eagerly awaiting replies from people who do know the answer as I'm having 4 lambs (with their mothers) come to live with us in 2 weeks time and am also very new to their care requirements! Good luck with the lambs - I've found this site brilliant for all my questions so I'm sure you'll get plenty of responses and advice!!  :)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 09:22:57 pm »
I washed one of our lamb's bum as it was dirty. I used mild shampoo for the dog and warm water and made sure he was dry afterwards. He's been fine since.

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Do what you enjoy; And enjoy what you do!!
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 09:14:20 am »
Hello,
All my lambs were a bit crusty for the first few days. The reddish flakes wore/dropped off over the first week or so. I didnt notice the ewes cleaning it off, after the initial cleaning from birth and bonding session ....I wouldnt wash the lamb..you will wash out his natural oils which protect him from cold rain etc.  You could just brush or rub it off with your hands or a brush during handling and feeding sessions (washing you hands after -of course). A small wash around the bum to clean away faeces is sensible to keep the flies away...but a full wash could be inviting more problems! If your concerns are only cosmetic leave it alone...

Maybe other more experienced folk will have other ideas...mine are based on logic, years of animal husbandry experience, but only a few months experience with sheep!

HTH Emma x
If you don't have a dream; how you gonna have a dream come true?

Crofter

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Isle of Lewis
  • We'll get there!
    • Ravenstar
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 10:33:19 pm »
I'd agree with Emma, it does no harm and will wear off in time.

Dave
Comfortable B&B on a working Croft on the Isle of Lewis. www.Ravenstar.co.uk

kinderfarm

• Joined May 2009
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 10:08:54 pm »
hey all

Thanks for your help, i'm slowly but surely gettin it all off by rubbing it with my hands durin feeding time. I did have to clean the rear area tho as Isaac had a bit of the runs, hope this clears up, he seems to be fine other wise. We've named them Jacob and Isaac thanks for all replies with this xxx

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Do what you enjoy; And enjoy what you do!!
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 07:35:04 am »
Just think of all the good your hands will be getting from the lanolin!!! If your sheep enjoy a good rub they will come back for more.
I am glad you didnt decide to bath them...its like winter outside today!!
Emma x
If you don't have a dream; how you gonna have a dream come true?

Frieslandfilly

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 09:22:00 am »
Hi, we bought 4 orphan lambs this year, first time for us too, we have been hand rearing them on lamblac and so far so good, one had a touch of bloat in the second week but after going online to find help we gave him vegatable oil and next morning he was fine!

We have just built a shelter for them so they can be out in the field all night, they are approx 6 weeks now and boy are they growing, it was only the second night in the shelter last night and they were reluctant to go to bed, it was funny watching my daughter and husband having to pick up theese heavy lambs and carry them to bed!! :sheep:

catomell

• Joined May 2009
  • Knowstone, North Devon
    • West Kidland Farm
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2009, 11:49:11 pm »
Whenever I have to wash any lambs for any reason - usually mucky bum type work (lovely job!), I use an old sheep lick bucket, with a healthy dollop of hibiscrub in warm water, and basically dunk the lamb in it, then pull it out, towel it off and let it go. Have never had any adverse reactions to this treatment - other than the lambs objecting to being dunked into a bucket of water - back end first, obviously...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS