Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Advice for sick piglet.  (Read 10164 times)

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: Advice for sick piglet.
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2009, 04:07:24 pm »
That is so lovely. ;)

Crofter

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Isle of Lewis
  • We'll get there!
    • Ravenstar
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2009, 10:40:47 pm »
I have also seen a group of young pigs defer to a sickly one.  They usually push each other around and fight for food but once, when we had a poorly youngster, the others just made way at the trough for it and did not push it at all though they continued to fight among themselves.
I've also seen older Sows take turns to "tuck each other up" in bed!

Dave
Comfortable B&B on a working Croft on the Isle of Lewis. www.Ravenstar.co.uk

donard

• Joined May 2009
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2009, 10:47:11 am »
Thanks Crofter.

I'm relieved to hear that I'm not losing my marbles :D :D

I haven't had anything to do with pigs since my father kept them when I was about 5 years old, so pig psychology isn't exactly my area of expertise lol.

I'm learning fast why people love them so much, though. I'm also beginning to think that these pigs are very likely likely to end up as pets rather than rashers........... as my other half says "How can we do the dirty on them if they're that intelligent?"  :-\ :-\

Anyway, enough waffling - both pigs ate well last night, and the sickly one was lively enough to escape into the next pen - containing our matriarch goat affectionately known as "Big Momma" - because she is quite convinced that her main function in life is to put manners on any other animal that comes within reach of her horns - hence the pen! That was one very rapid rescue, believe me!

Donard

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2009, 10:57:18 am »
Donard that is good news. On the note of goats taking charge, about 9 months ago I rescued 2, one aged 12 and the other 10. They were in a dreadful state when they arrived but luckily they are back to full health. Anyway as they were so old we bought 2 Toggenburg Kids 3 weeks ago as company for them. Today, Rosie the 12 year old who has never been milked is growing teats the size of me at an alarming rate as she has accepted these kids as her own. So, another happy story.

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2009, 11:08:37 am »
Donard - glad to hear piggys well again!  Just to note hay is more a feedstuff and not really warm enough for bedding, always use straw, enough so they can bury themselves in it, they can get cold easily, especially after being separated from a larger litter where they huddle for warmth. Also pigs only like to have their ark for bed, they wont soil it and probably wont eat in it either. My 3 ewes rallied round looking after the other one last year when she was a bit poorly, they definately look out for eachother!

donard

• Joined May 2009
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2009, 12:39:22 pm »
Jameslindsay, Big Momma was also a rescue effort. I don't know what age she is, but she's old

Her feet were in a dreadful state when we bought her (untreated advanced foot rot) - mainly just to try to end her suffering. She was the most ill-tempered creature I have ever come into contact with when she arrived, and would charge anyone or anything that approached her. Nine months worth of time, care and patience and she will follow the family around like a pet dog! Anyone (or anything) else gets treated to the sharp edge of her horns - including any other kids (as in goats) who wander too close to the fence.
 I might end up having to move the pens just to keep my piggies safe lol.
My others goats are very sociable, poor Momma just never knew any kindness before we got her, so she attacks what she doesn't trust - which is everything but us! She rewarded us in March by producing a very nice set of  twins, (Saanen) and the buck is already sold. I'm keeping the nanny, and bottle feeding three times a day, just so Momma gets some peace. I wouldn't kid her again, though.

Dixie, thanks for the advice on the straw - I just didn't have any to hand when I bought them.
I had been considering buying a couple of pigs for a while, so when I saw a for sale ad., I just went and got them. That's not as crazy as it seems.... my family have lived in this area for generations, so I can usually find anything I need in a hurry just by picking up the phone. Both my brothers have farms, so I'm rarely stuck if I need a couple of bales/nuts or whatever (just not pig nuts - my brothers farm sheep and cattle.) I just borrow some, and replace them when I get my own delivered, and vice versa.

My piggies ate well again this morning, though I did notice the little one coughed quite a lot last night after the exertion of her escape attempt. I have a sneaking suspicion that the respiratory symptoms are secondary, but I'll wait and see what happens when the course of antibiotics is complete. Some nice weather wouldn't hurt, either.

Poor things, they're terrified of people, and having to catch one and stick needles in her just after buying them isn't helping!
Still they do come out when we approach with food, which is a start. Allowing us to catch them is quite another matter, for now!

Donard

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2009, 01:26:38 pm »
Donard - try just sitting in there with them, pigs are very inquisitive and will soon get brave, especially if you have treats, some sliced banana never fails to tempt mine!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS