Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Can we mow our Kune field?  (Read 6655 times)

nic99

• Joined Jul 2011
Can we mow our Kune field?
« on: July 16, 2012, 12:08:36 pm »
As the title says really, our 3 kune kunes haven't been able to keep on top of all the grass growth. About half of the field is completely overgrown to about waist height and has gone to seed. My fussy pigs won't touch it, they choose to eat only the short patches. My OH is desperate to attack it with the flail mower (I think mostly because he is looking for any excuse to play with his newly repaired toy). Would they be ok to stay in the field once this is done, and if not, how long until they could go back in?

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
Re: Can we mow our Kune field?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 12:34:14 pm »
I dont see any reason as to why they wouldnt be able to stay in there! My kunes only like short grass (max 5 inches sward) they keep it nice and short and neat.

Only problem with mowing it is as its got so high and (im guessing) brownish? when its mown down short the bottoms will be brown and the kunes probly wont want to graze until it starts growing up green again.
So if you are relying on the grazing to feed them you may have to give the something extra to eat until they can eat the grass again  :thumbsup:
I keep the grass short for sheep and the kunes eat anything the sheep dont and the sheep eat the docks which the pigs dont eat!

Jess

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 01:29:15 pm »
Yes I'd just leave them in there - if brown as L suspects I'd mow off half and a week ro so later do the other half - mine is currently very high and very green and very wet!
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 01:38:36 pm »
you could mow as long as theres no ragwort - if there is, when wilted it is a lot more toxic as it loses its offputting bitter taste; so every scrap would need removing.

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 02:25:25 pm »
Agree with everything that's already been said - you'll just need to up your numbers next year to keep on top of it Nic  ;) :innocent:
Sounds like you OH's going to have fun though  :D
Karen  :wave:

thestephens

• Joined Mar 2011
  • aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 02:38:55 pm »
husband topped our Kunes fields yesterday, we can now see the piglets!

nic99

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 02:42:09 pm »
Great, thanks for your replies. I was worried about what might happen if they eat the chopped up stuff once it starts to rot. I'm guessing it's not a problem then? Will do a thorough sweep for ragwort before attacking with the mower. It doesn't matter if they won't eat it until it starts to grow back, as they won't eat as it is anyway, so nothing lost.
Jess - do you keep your sheep and pigs together? Do they get on ok? I am desperate for some shetlands but have to fence off another area first. This may be the solution to everything!
Karen - your suggestion is a brilliant one. Will be contacting you in the not so distant future about that! Piglets from Penelope for spring me thinks  ;D

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 04:42:17 pm »
when i got my first kunes they didnt graze they dug it over (nettles and docks)  to about 6 " depth which is what i wanted.... killed them got 2 more these dont dig much at all but i have noticed them graze on what little grass there is, if they dug there would be loads of nice roots to eat which i want them to do, guess you cant tell what you are getting unless theyve already started to dig before you buy them. wonder if i put them on low rations they will start to dig?

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012, 10:18:35 pm »
Hi Harry  :wave:
Have you tried confining them to a smaller area & throwing their feed on the ground? It usually gets them started  :thumbsup:  & if you've got the time hide some chopped-up apple just under the surface.
 :love: :pig: :love:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2012, 08:35:43 pm »
yes done that, i got them at 1 year old so maybe they dont dig? may try burying some sow rolls

robert waddell

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2012, 08:39:36 pm »
have they been nose ringed :farmer: not always obvious :farmer:

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2012, 09:37:29 pm »
have they been nose ringed :farmer: not always obvious :farmer:
OMG - nose ringing KKs  :o  how un-natural  :( Please don't tell me folks do that to them as well as trying to get them to live as "house pets"  >:( 
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

robert waddell

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2012, 09:41:39 pm »
yes the 3 kunnies that we had were ringed by the previous owner he pushed the grass eating pig thing as well but the piglets  could dig for Scotland and never bothered eating grass :farmer:

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2012, 09:52:58 pm »
IMHO I think nose ringing is cruel - it stops the pig from doing what comes naturally  >:(
Why?
If somebody wants to keep their land/grass in pristine condition then don't get pigs of any kind - thsimples.
Never met a KK yet that doesn't eat grass Robert  ???  along with anything else it can get hold of - roots, saplings, my roses, flowering potatoes, dead pheasants ... you can probably get the picture  ;)
 :love: :pig: :love:

robert waddell

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2012, 10:06:11 pm »
do you adjust the hard feeding to compensate for the pheasant ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS