Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Another (eating) rabbit question  (Read 5611 times)

happy larry

• Joined Apr 2011
Another (eating) rabbit question
« on: July 15, 2012, 10:37:29 pm »
Well i have done a search regarding eating rabbit (not pets) but the giant french lop,without causing a scene do any members keep this breed for meat.JUST in case ive got my tin hat on.

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
Re: Another (eating) rabbit question
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 11:54:54 pm »
As far as I am aware, the meat to bone ration of the French lop is much higher than that of the Californian or the New Zealand White.
As for edibility, you can eat any of them even the Nethies so it's up to you ;)

(Yes I'm rabbit crazy, but if you want to rear good meat you could do far worse than rabbits! Just let them have a nice life and room to binky is all I ask :thumbsup: )
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 12:21:56 pm »
I believe the Flemish Giant was developed as a meat rabbit.

confused

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 06:06:14 pm »
Hi, i have 2 new zealand x californian does which have both just produced nice litters that i expect to reach between 4 and 6 lb's at 10 weeks a nice killing size , if left to reach maturity they should make 10/11 lb's, i dont fatten mine on concentrates , just a wee drop bruised barley/oats, hay,and an abundance of fresh greens and fruit and veg   

fairhaven

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Norfolk
    • The Hazy Rainbow
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 10:36:14 pm »
Californian x New Zealand are good for tenderness & quantity - Having eaten various breeds over the years I must admit that there isn't much difference in taste (Although the cali x rex was rather nice!  ;))  Just roast whole with a duck to get the nice tender meat at it's best...
Sheep: North Ronaldsay & 4 Horned Hebridean - We also breed & exhibit 3 breeds of rabbit - Chinchilla, Deilenaar (rare breed) & Colour Pointed English Angora.

confused

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 05:30:47 pm »
Hi, i have 2 new zealand x californian does which have both just produced nice litters that i expect to reach between 4 and 6 lb's at 10 weeks a nice killing size , if left to reach maturity they should make 10/11 lb's, i dont fatten mine on concentrates , just a wee drop bruised barley/oats, hay,and an abundance of fresh greens and fruit and veg
I have just killed 5 of my bunnys at nearly 10 weeks lovely size around the 6lb's mark, i have kept them whole and put 4 in the freezer, the rest should all be ready to kill in he next 2/3 weeks , i'm well pleased with the return on my efforts , the next litters are due at the end of the month ,i could have gone for earlier litters but i wanted to wait untill my turnips were nearer ready , also i have access to plenty apples come late october .

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
    • Somerset Pet Sitting and Dog Walking
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 07:55:54 am »
I would have as much chance of eating rabbits I bred as I do of eating my lambs..... er....nil. LOL. But it does seem a sensible meat to eat. Prolific breeders, acres after acre of grass not needed, easy to gain weight, cheap to keep, decent carcass size!
Shame they are cute n fluffy n snuffly and smell nice. LOL
I am a wuss!
From 3 to 30 and still flocking up!

fairhaven

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Norfolk
    • The Hazy Rainbow
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 09:28:56 am »
Shame they are cute n fluffy n snuffly and smell nice. LOL
I am a wuss!

:bunny: They smell even nicer with gravy & veg  ;D    Seriously though... It was hard the first few times, but now we have categorised the bunnies (Show, Pet & Meat) Which makes it easier for the kids as well as myself!   Just like the other animals, if they are meat animals from the start as well as having proper care & freedom first, it's not a problem.
Sheep: North Ronaldsay & 4 Horned Hebridean - We also breed & exhibit 3 breeds of rabbit - Chinchilla, Deilenaar (rare breed) & Colour Pointed English Angora.

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
    • Somerset Pet Sitting and Dog Walking
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2012, 06:31:29 pm »
LOL... never let me visit.... you would find bunnies mysteriously disappearing from the 'meat' section and your 'show' and 'pet' section would have randomly increased overnight.... it must be the bunny-fairy! ;D
From 3 to 30 and still flocking up!

fairhaven

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Norfolk
    • The Hazy Rainbow
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2012, 08:49:34 am »
The bunny fairy :roflanim:  must be the same bunny fairy that instantly turned my 'running free & not handled over much' meat rabbits into 'cute & friendly' when a lady came to buy a couple of rabbits the other week - She originally came for one of my long haired ones, but when she saw the NZ x Cali's playing in the orchard she was rather taken with them (They are not usually cuddly people bunnies, but when she went to the fence, they all lined up & pressed their noses through it for attention!)  I didn't even tell her they were for eating, but she went home with 3 of them as pets  ???   I didn't have the heart to eat them after she had told me about the lovely run they had waiting at hers  :D  Never mind - We still have 2 meat rabbits left for eating at the moment, they will have to do   ::)   It's rather annoying being a bit of a soft touch at times!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS