Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: our poorly lamb - now fly strike!  (Read 7367 times)

plt102

• Joined Jan 2011
our poorly lamb - now fly strike!
« on: July 15, 2012, 09:57:01 pm »
We had a lamb who we think was bitten or pecked. We purple sprayed and bought her and mum into stable. She had a cut on her head and on her tail. She was doing well but when I checked today she was fly struck on her head! I put fly strike plus on the wound and the maggots started coming out and dabbed a bit of crovect on but really worried as it is on her head. Is there any way to stop them infecting her eyes and ears. Ill call the vet tomorrow to see about antibiotics if they are needed. Arrrrggghh!

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: our poorly lamb - now fly strike!
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 10:24:14 pm »
Never seen maggots in eyes or ears. If you have a wound cover it to protect and heal with Tar plaster / Stockholm tar / Maggot oil /fly cream or something similar :farmer:

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 11:02:23 pm »
Washing thoroughly with Hibiscrub should do it, but that means very thoroughly because you've got to kill everything so massage the stuff in deeply.
Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 07:10:27 am »
The Crovect should do the job. I've never seen maggots in eyes or ears either. Pick off as many as the horrid little b€$%#~s as you can and then Crovect the remaining area.

plt102

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 07:41:17 am »
Thanks guys. Will keep you posted. X

plt102

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 07:53:15 am »
She looks better today and no more maggots so sprayed on some more fly strike plus (sposed to soothe and clean as well as repel) and now have to play waiting game. Will check her again in a few hours.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 10:37:22 am »
I've never seen maggots in eyes or ears either.

I had a ewe struck badly in her eye - they ate the whole eyeball away.  Silly girl had hidden in reshes so we didn't find her early enough to save the eyeball.

Twelve months later you couldn't tell which one she was; the eyeball regrew again, perfectly, iris and all.  I don't think she could see out of it though.

Thank goodness you got them all, plt02. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 04:17:28 pm »
I have horned sheep and sadly, have now had rams struck in that area. I cleaned it, gave it the antibac spray and when that had dried, crovected it. Gave the ram some antibiotics too because he was looking a bit sorry for himself.

katie

• Joined Feb 2008
  • worcs
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012, 04:26:12 pm »
We have Wiltshires and have had sheep struck there. Crovect works wonders.

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
    • Somerset Pet Sitting and Dog Walking
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2012, 07:35:39 pm »
I can't believe you guys are all getting strike.... we are having so much rain down here the flies are all drowning (thank GOD!!!)
From 3 to 30 and still flocking up!

CaroleBulmer

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Barrington, Somerset
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2012, 04:26:54 pm »
I also hail from Somerset and unfortunatly have had fly strike in my Hebi lambs last week, two of them had dirty behinds and when we investigated there were maggots present.  Thankfully it was only a small infestation easily treated, but I was suprised as it has been wet every day almost no sun and cold at night.

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2012, 05:59:55 pm »
Hi Carole
Seems like you are not too far from me -  I am in Shepton Mallet! I guess one good thing about my sheep being sheared so late is that their fleeces are still really, really short so have not had dag problems yet this year. Just bought a 5 litre bottle of Clik ready for tomorrows strike-a-thon! :o)
Lisa

trying

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Lincs Notts border
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2012, 08:15:03 pm »
Hi, I can't believe that we have a lamb with fly strike and he was done with crovect when the shearer was here about 4 weeks ago!
Ann

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2012, 09:36:05 pm »
Ann... I think the shite weather has reduced the efficacy of the products...that is why I am using Clik this year... lasts a lot longer per dousing and is thicker so clings on better. I think Crovect is great but better for when Strike strikes (EXCUSE THE PUN)  ;D

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2012, 10:42:10 pm »
Hi Mallows and Carole B  :wave:   We are not a million miles from you too.  Worrying to hear about the strike as I thought my lot were safe for a few weeks at least  >:( .3 days without rain in about 6 weeks  ???

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS