Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Gardeners "Triffid" Delight  (Read 2434 times)

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
Gardeners "Triffid" Delight
« on: July 15, 2012, 05:18:19 pm »
Decided just to stick to the Gardeners Delight this year, as for the past 2 summers no other tomatoes have managed up here  ::)
Having grown mine from seed too this year, I did my usual & had too many to fit in my little grow-house, so I've got 10 in the (north-facing ??? ) "conservatory".  The packet stated they should grow "up to 5 ft" - I've just had to restake them as a few are heading for 7 ft  :o
They've definately not been pampered  :innocent:  so what's going on ?

Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
Re: Gardeners "Triffid" Delight
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 05:29:15 pm »
...they're trying to reach some sunshine...?  ;D :innocent:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 06:41:32 pm »
You're right Yorkshire lass - it's too dark in a north facing place in the northern hemisphere, so the plants become aetiolated/drawn ie extra tall.  Are they also a bit pale beewyched?  :wave:   Have they got any fruit on, and how do they compare with the ones in the other growhouse?   wot - no tomato emoticon  ???
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 06:56:25 pm »
Hiya Juliet  :wave:
Aha - so that's the problem  ::)  they're definately no paler than the ones outside - I actually thought they were looking better, certainly taller  :D  allbeit that the top foot or so has bent over & is now growing across the ceiling  :innocent:  No fruit on any yet, but they are flowering.
I must get my OH to show me how to upload photos on here & ask Dan for a tomato emoticon - yoohoo
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 07:51:09 pm »
If you string them across the roof they will be easier to pick as they will dangle down - and they won't bash you on the head as pumpkins do  ;D    You should still get a crop but they might not be so sweet as those ripened in sunshine.
I still haven't managed to post pics on here - I know the principle but it's easier to get OH to do it than to tax my little brain  ::) :dunce:   :D
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 07:58:03 pm »
Hm - so IF they set fruits  :fc:  then maybe I should move them to the windowsills at the front of the house (south facing) to ripen  :yum:

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 09:58:06 am »
Our GDs are going great guns in the polytunnel but they are very triffid-like. Really thick "trunks". Up to three feet high now and putting out absolutely MASSES of flowers.

I have an awful feeling that the fruit isn't going to ripen in time though  :(
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS