Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: a.i sow  (Read 2893 times)

langfauld easycare

• Joined Apr 2012
a.i sow
« on: July 13, 2012, 09:38:55 pm »
does anyone have any experience in ai sows . i have a single x saddle back sow (well my daughters really). i  got a young osb boar but he will be to young to serve her this time round . i was thinking of doing her with ai i seen a place in ireland that post you all the stuff :o .was wondering if anyone else has tryed it and how successful it had been. bloody pain when its only one but the wee lass wont part with her  :pig:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: a.i sow
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 12:38:54 am »
It can work, Deerpark is the place in Ireland.  They are regularly discussed - it's a very reliable service (sorry, couldn't resist  ;)) and their instructions are well-written and entertaining to boot.

Here's a couple of links to get your researches started:

http://pigsinfrance.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=47&Itemid=75
http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/index.php?topic=21926.msg210077#msg210077
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

chickenfeed

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 07:41:02 am »
our sow thats due in 3 weeks was a i'ed we found deeparks service efficent.
ours held with our first attempt.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 12:06:26 pm by chickenfeed »

Tamsaddle

• Joined May 2011
  • Hampshire, near Portsmouth
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 11:37:07 am »
Deepark has just one Saddleback boar, Blewett Prefect 86, who has a narrow white saddle so some of your piglets will come out with that marking.   They are very efficient sending the semen out to arrive the following morning, but if you need to order on a Wednesday do so before 10 am as that is their early closing day.   If you think you need it on a Monday, order on the Friday or Thursday before - it will be perfectly OK but it must NOT be kept in a fridge.    As long as you get the timing right, by having watched her vulva and behaviour closely during the previous heat 3/6 weeks earlier so you know what to expect and when, it should work OK.   Ideally, she should stand like a frozen statue for 10 minutes for at least 1 of the 3 bottles you will be using.   It comes with excellent instructions, and there is a very good video on how to do it on the pigsinfrance site.   Good luck - Tamsaddle 

princesspiggy

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 12:06:03 pm »
we did it successfully on our 2nd attempt so easier than u think.

Tricky Trev

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 09:36:00 pm »
We Hav Just used deerpark for our 2 OSBs 1 is now in pig going to try again with other 1 great service from deerpark

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012, 05:44:54 am »
Deepark has just one Saddleback boar, Blewett Prefect 86, who has a narrow white saddle so some of your piglets will come out with that marking.   
5 Blewett Prefect offspring (mum is OSB but the saddleback colouring is clearly dominant):
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Tamsaddle

• Joined May 2011
  • Hampshire, near Portsmouth
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2012, 08:05:48 am »
Very pretty piglets - we got quite a few with narrow white saddles even though their saddleback mum has a wide white saddle herself.   Tamsaddle

Gary

• Joined Nov 2008
  • axminster
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2012, 10:56:05 am »
We Hav Just used deerpark for our 2 OSBs 1 is now in pig going to try again with other 1 great service from deerpark
Thats intresting i was considering using deerpark for osb, woud really be intrested to know how you get on.

langfauld easycare

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2012, 09:52:12 pm »
thanks for all the posts think i will give it a go .sow is a cross saddle back so doesnt have to be a saddle back boar .weaners are for freezer might go for berkshire found them to have best tastyest so far :P .will post how i get on . sally reliable service ::) !! thank god your piglets are better than your jokes  :D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS