Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Finish off my weaners  (Read 2046 times)

rockstar

• Joined Jan 2012
  • powys
Finish off my weaners
« on: July 12, 2012, 07:37:10 pm »
Im taking my gos to slaughter at 6 months ,they are now 4 months old and i have been feeding them on sow/weaner nuts supplemented with small amounts of fruit and veg.DO I NEED TO CHANGE TO A FINISHING NUT OR ARE THESE OK ,IM NOT SURE ?

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
Re: Finish off my weaners
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 09:18:19 am »
My advice would be to leave them on the sow/weaner which wil be 16% protein. Grower ranges are much higher and will only put excess fat on your porkers. I'd be aiming for forty inches around the chest at six months old this is when we send our GOS off.
HTH
Mandy :pig:

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 09:18:55 am »
Ditto Mandy  ;)

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 12:52:28 pm »
ditto ditto mandy and HH
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

rockstar

• Joined Jan 2012
  • powys
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 07:16:43 pm »
Thank you all, and you are so helpfull to the ones who have just started out on the GOODLIFE!!

rudolph76

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 11:59:11 pm »
HI

I have been told to feed oats for the last 4 - 6 weeks before slaughter to "clean the meat and improve the taste" of our GOS. Is this the right thing to do?

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 12:51:09 pm »
HI

I have been told to feed oats for the last 4 - 6 weeks before slaughter to "clean the meat and improve the taste" of our GOS. Is this the right thing to do?

never heard this sounds like someone wants to sell you expensive oats, thought you only used them to cleanse snails and make porrideg ;D   Waste of good oats IMHO.
mandy :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS