Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bees on allotments  (Read 2064 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Bees on allotments
« on: July 12, 2012, 03:49:23 pm »
I did not know our local council allowed livestock on their allotments, but apparantly they have given special dispensation for someone to keep their hens, and also someone has bees (not sure if they were aware of those, but are now!)

A lady I know in the village has an allotment, and has done for years.  She was telling me today, that she has been stung twice by these bees while there, and has suffered terrible reactions each time.  Apparantly, the bees would be well away from other allotment people if kept at the back near the railway, but their owner has put them on another allotment.

Having had words with their owner, they insisted they stung no one last year .....but it seems they are stinging other people now, and they have given up their allotments because of the bees (cannot blame them really - who wants to suffer that!)

Council has not intervened and said the bees must be removed.  Had their owner put them at the back of the allotments, perhaps this could be avoided.  But, the lady who had the reaction said she feels she may need to leave too, as there may well be an atmosphere now this has happened!!

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
Re: Bees on allotments
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 08:58:41 pm »
Any decent beekeeper would move their bees if they were a problem to anyone else. Full Stop.
If this were a wasp nest the way to deal with it would be to go at night and block the entrance up, then pour petrol into it and leave the fumes to do their job.
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
Re: Bees on allotments
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 11:24:24 pm »
I agree. My bees are very close to my neighbours although separated by a 6 foot fence and hedge. I always said that if my bees ever caused a problem I would move them. 2nd year and they have only just discovered they are there as they swarmed. No-one stung and they are moving soon anyway but if I had one complaint I had already arranged to move them to my mums out-apiary.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS