Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: The price per acre where you are  (Read 30825 times)

deepinthewoods

Re: The price per acre where you are
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2012, 03:46:33 pm »
wow. how beautiful. :thumbsup:

richardtheboffin

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2012, 10:39:39 am »
Pasture here in Dorset varies quite a bit, but my plot cost almost 8k an acre late last year in a sealed bid and I reckon I paid a little over the odds at the time, but it's 300 yards from the house so I really wanted it!

Apparently it's near £12k an acre now!

Also varies a lot depending on size. I think there's money to be made by buying larger plots (>15 acres) and dividing it all up into 1/2-1-2 acre fields and re-selling.

zarzar

• Joined Jul 2012
  • kent
  • Z.Glenfield :)
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2012, 10:53:46 am »
Down here in somerset you are looking at any thing between 7-10k an acre sometimes more for land with planning permission. But there is a lot for sale with all the ex council farms being sold off which they have divided in to each field rather than the whole farm just to squease every last penny out of.
1 cat,2 thoroughbred horses,1 dog, handfull of bird various types and hoping to get sheep again

smiley bucket

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2012, 08:18:39 pm »
Eight and a half acres sold at auction on Tuesday near Somerton made £81,000.  It has a few properties around it so I'm guessing the neighbours had a bidding war and will not be talking to each other any more  :roflanim:
Pay our politicians minimum wage and watch how fast things change.

Canadian Sheepfarmer

• Joined Nov 2009
  • Manitoba, Canada.
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2012, 03:04:52 pm »
Here on the prairies, in Saskatchewan and Manitoba the average price is currently $1,200-$1,400 an acre for average land. In Alberta it's $2,000 - $4,000 for non irrigated land. In Ontario its $10.000 to $15,000 an acre.
As at this morning the Canadian dollar is worth 63 pence in GB pounds.

Needless to say most of the farmers think that these prices are crazy. I think that they are still a bargain given the world food situation.

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2012, 05:23:30 pm »
For what its worth I think prices are crazy too, in terms of expexted yeild to repay investment. Therefore, I rent all mine.

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2012, 07:26:47 pm »
People buy land as a store of value rather for its return on cost.  So renting can be a win-win for investor and tenant.   It's something to do with not making it any more ???
Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2012, 07:30:00 pm »
i wish i had deeper pockets

there's 200 acres of prime grazing/hay producing land going to auction just 2 miles from my house, no buildings lots of clauses that mean if you add buildings the current owners get more money out of you etc.

basically if your not a big farmer don't bother trying...

shame as its in just the right place, 1 of the 8 fields that are up for auction as a single lot would suit me fine!!!!

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2012, 08:33:24 am »
We bought our 8.5 acres about 5 years ago cost us about £5000 an acre. Since then I've been approached by the neighbours on both sides who wanted to buy some or all of it. I've told them both that they had their chance when it was last on the market so why didn't they buy it then, especially as one of them is related to the bloke we bought it off! They both have houses on land bordering ours. Told them that if they seriously wanted it they should make an offer but that it isn't for sale so the offer would have to be one that I couldn't really refuse. Suffice to say that I never heard back from either of them. As far as land is concerned I don't think it's a buyer's market like it is with most other things these days. As someone already said they won't be making any more.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2012, 09:57:55 am »
There is some land adjoining ours totalling 11acres and when its owner was a feeling the pinch he offered it to us at £110k making it £10k an acre. It would have been nice to have it but NOT at that price! needless to say we declined and it was just as well we didn't try to raise funds for it as he changed his mind and still owns it now.
Mandy :pig:

Marsbar

• Joined Jun 2011
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2012, 04:37:13 pm »
Hi
I have just had an Email from Rightmove about a 0.7acre grazing plot in Sheffield for £30k.....so that would make it nearly £43k/acre. :roflanim:

I will not be looking at that one then !!

At this rate i will be staying with the alotments.  >:(

Richard
Richard
from Sheffield now in Chesterfield

smiley bucket

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2012, 10:08:32 pm »
Realistically, how long would 0.7acres sustain anything grazing on it?  How can it be grazing when it would last only days?  its just a patch for grow your own and a few hens, a lifestyle choice, not grazing. 

Red

• Joined Mar 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2013, 12:35:10 pm »
 I have a small holding of 15 acres on the North / West Yorkshire border and a fild two down from mine which is about 5 acres sold privatley for £100K with no planning and never will get planning for houses etc can only be used as farm land
Red

smiley bucket

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2013, 01:36:03 pm »
you are sitting on a fortune Red! is there gold or oil in them there fields?

Catweazle

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2013, 05:23:45 pm »
Flat well drained land sells for about £5500 ( in small lots of 2-3 acres ) per acre here near Cardigan.  I think that's pretty reasonable when you consider what you can do with an acre for the rest of your life,  and your kids lives,  and their kids lives.  Land is a damned good investment long-term,  I can't think of anything better to spend money on.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS