Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Mixing Ex Bats with the flock  (Read 2307 times)

chris3000

• Joined May 2012
  • Wiltshire
Mixing Ex Bats with the flock
« on: July 12, 2012, 01:52:11 pm »
We are very pleased to say we are taking in 20 Ex-Bats later this month.

They will have there own space to acclimatise, but I wondered when they can be introduced to the rest of our laying flock?

Any advice I give is purely based on my experience .... It may not be from 20 years of farming or a book I have read .... however it has worked for me.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Mixing Ex Bats with the flock
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 02:24:16 pm »
I kept my ex-batts in their own coop and run for about 4 weeks before allowing them to mix with the flock.

I think I was either told by the BHWT or read on their site that they should be kept away from cockerels until they were strong enough to stand their attentions! If you don't have cockerels I think about 3 weeks is ideal to assess health of newcomers and allow any problems to show themselves.

Mine were fine but had to be put to bed for the first few weeks and even now are the last hens to retire. Obviously making up for lost time.  ::)   ;D

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 03:10:26 pm »
Ditto in the hills - I waited until mine were feathered I think, which didnt take very long.  We did have a cockrel at the time and he didnt waste any time once they were out - so it is important to make sure they look up to it!

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 07:51:27 pm »
You should isolate them for atleast 3 weeks. I took on 2 exbats, isolated for 2 weeks then mixed with my stunning young IG boy and a LS hen. Had to cull the lot as the exbats infected them with infectious Bronchitis due to them being vaccinated and shedding the virus as they were stressed. Would never take more on for that reason.
Old and rare breed Ducks, chickens, geese, sheep, guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, husband and chicks brooding in the tv cabinate!

northernengine

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 08:00:04 pm »
I take on new ex bats every year, and have never had any problems. They go straight in the coop / run with my others, and, aside from the normal pecking that you get when introducing any new birds, they get along just fine.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 08:30:13 pm »
Depends whether your existing flock has been immunised against ILT or IB Coopers. If not you could be in a heck of a lot of trouble if you mix them! Ex-batts shed those viruses when stressed and they can kill uninnoculated birds because they can be mutated virus strains or because the old birds can't cope with both viruses at the same time.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS