Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: hebrideans need shearing  (Read 7041 times)

peartreewoodlandsmallholding

• Joined Jan 2012
  • staffordshire
hebrideans need shearing
« on: July 12, 2012, 11:57:49 am »
Hi
i just taken on 8 hebs that are in need of shearing
im abit worried about the amount of flys around them
im in staffordshire biddulph uf anybody knows of someone
asap many thanks xxx

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: hebrideans need shearing
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 01:19:56 pm »
Even before you get a shearer in you need to bring your new sheep in today and search them for fly strike ie maggots.  Do you know why they weren't shorn before you got them?  The most likely places to look for maggots is under the tail and between the back legs (you need to sit the sheep on its bottom to get a really good look, or lie down to see under it if you don't know how to tip it).  They also appear sometimes on the back just above the tail, and behind the front legs and on the shoulders.  With Hebs, you might also find flystrike around the horns.   With flies seen around them, it is likely that they are either already struck, or they are dirty and will be struck shortly. So you need to trim off any daggy wool and if you find maggots trim the wool close to the skin and scrape off any maggots, searching into the fleece to find them - they make off at quite a rate.  If you find large patches them you must spray them with Crovect which will kill the maggots.  You won't be able to use the fleece if you have used Crovect, and you will need to warn any shearer that you have used it, but the fleeces will probably be matted and felted by now anyway, so not great for handcrafts.

Sorry - we are in Scotland so unable to help  :sheep:
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 01:22:42 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

• Joined Jan 2012
  • staffordshire
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 05:07:23 pm »
Many thanks for the reply.ive been trying track a shearer down its hard getting hold of one around hete
we have only had them since sunday the owner said they need be done in 2/3 weeks time but
i cant see that being right there wool is really matted and dirty and are getting bugged with the flys now
we are really new to sheep etc only having owned our land for a month
I wanted to get them in a pen and seen to checking feet etc but im unsure how to handle them right
I would love to hand shear but 1 day at a time.so anyway i hoping i can track someone down soon as.
I could curse the women we had them off
kind regards emma xx

kumquat

• Joined May 2012
  • Ruthin, North Wales
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 05:21:03 pm »
It might be worth PM'ing Morris, he's a shearer and just joined TAS, he might come your way??
http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/index.php?topic=25443.0
Jon
Proud member of the Soay Sheep Society :thumbsup:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 05:50:39 pm »
<<<  the owner said they need be done in 2/3 weeks time but
i cant see that being right there wool is really matted and dirty and are getting bugged with the flys now
>>>

You are right Emma - they should have been done a few weeks ago and certainly before you bought them.  The risk of them having been struck by the flies is quite high, especially as it sounds as though the previous owner didn't look after them very well.  Fly strike is serious and if not treated the animal can die, which is why I suggested you bring them in and look through their fleece for maggots.  The maggots eat into the flesh of the sheep, and they can die of infection and toxic shock.   If at all possible you shouldn't wait for your shearer to come, but have a look straight away.  Perhaps there is someone on here who can help you, before a shearer can get to you.    As you have found, Hebridean fleece can mat tightly, especially when it's warm with heavy rain, and all sorts of things can be going on under the mat. 

It's probable that they weren't wormed either, so if you didn't do that when they arrived it would be a good idea to get them wormed too.  Your vet will advise the most appropriate wormer to use.
Feet and a general check can be done once the shearer gets there.

What a bad beginning for you with your new flock.  Hebs are wonderful and once you have got this sorted out you will love them  :) :sheep:
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 05:55:27 pm by Fleecewife »

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 06:29:42 pm »
Just to back Fleecewife up - if the sheep have been struck (had a fly lay her eggs) in the wool, the resultant maggots can kill them very very quickly - you don't have a few days if this is the case, you need to be getting them in and treating them NOW.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 09:31:57 pm »
I'll message you a number of a lad who might come and do them for you

• Joined Jan 2012
  • staffordshire
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2012, 03:53:32 pm »
Thanks sbom the lad been and done them for me today
hes very good really pleased so thank you.oh :thumbsup: sheep really happy now xxxx

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2012, 04:10:04 pm »
Well done abe1980 :thumbsup:, now you can enjoy your new sheep  :love: :sheep:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2012, 05:09:53 pm »
Another Brownie point for TAS  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

That's great you've got them shorn and even greater that in spite of all those circling flies they hadn't laid their eggs.   Don't they look smart after shearing - all neat and black  :love: :sheep:

• Joined Jan 2012
  • staffordshire
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2012, 10:08:50 pm »
hi, yeh they look amazing now in  black, the shearers told us there was two years growth on there fleeces so the person we bought them off hadn,t had them done last year either!! So weve been more than lucky they wern,t struck. They seemed so happy after they were all released from being sheared they were all jumping like spring lambs round the field!!! Thanks everyone we can stop worrying and start enjoying them now!!!

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2012, 11:10:02 pm »
Am glad he could help. I bet he was wondering who passed his number on! Will see him this week and enlighten him ;D

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2012, 12:33:37 am »
hi, yeh they look amazing now in  black, the shearers told us there was two years growth on there fleeces so the person we bought them off hadn,t had them done last year either!! So weve been more than lucky they wern,t struck. They seemed so happy after they were all released from being sheared they were all jumping like spring lambs round the field!!! Thanks everyone we can stop worrying and start enjoying them now!!!

Thank goodness you have them now to give them a good home  :thumbsup:    I can just picture them all leaping around, so happy to be released from those matted, smelly two yearold  fleeces  :sheep: :sheep: :sheep:

• Joined Jan 2012
  • staffordshire
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2012, 05:15:15 pm »
Sbom yeh he did ask where i had number and i
tas.he didnt know what that was but he was laughing hes a nice lad
Said i can call him back text year so thank you :trophy:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS