Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: kune meat  (Read 10919 times)

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
Re: kune meat
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2012, 11:04:47 pm »
The oldest KK we've eaten was a "rescue" over 4 years-old & she was fine, though a wee bit on fatty side - good for sausages though  :yum:
I don't see any problem with giving them a "loving home" before eating them - IME they are usually so glad to get them off of their hands you never hear from the folks again (especially the ones with no provenance!).
I keep hoping that one day folks will start treating KKs as pigs, smaller than other breeds, but pigs none the less - NOT bl**dy fashion accessories  >:(  ... rant over  :-X
 :love: :pig: :love:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Bumblebear

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Norfolk
    • http://southwellski.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2012, 11:16:28 pm »
Hmmmm....definitely food for thought (no pun intended) as there are 3 x 2 year old sows to good home near me!  They would have a very good home.  First.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2012, 11:23:32 pm »
I'd say go for it Bb - ideal time of year, they should be fine on just grass at that age, so no costly feed bills - gives you a few months to get them into shape  :yum: 
Just a quick tip - check their feet are ok - many that have been pampered have ruined feet (a bit like a pony with laminitis) & you may never be able to get the fat off their backs, as they won't want to/can't run about - it's awful the state some folk get them into  :o
 :love: :pig: :love:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2012, 09:02:55 pm »
if the owners want them to go to a loveing pets home let them try to find one or keep them theirselves...... if they want them to go to a good home then take them............ ive been offered 6 pigs off a kune kune rescue place knowing i would butcher them at some time, the rescue people were relistic and know what pigs are for, and cant keep taking adult pigs in forever.......... tell them a white lie to keep them happy (useally the women) ::) ::) ..... i probably wont ever buy any piglets again not when i can get enough for me free at 6 months old, thats the age they relise what a monster they have raised. the last 3 i got were 6 months old and castraited.!!! a lot buy them sold as minatures. if you get them about now its coming into carrot and windfall season so more free feed for the pigs....... picked my first bucket of roadside crab apples today..... ime not tight ime carefull.

Bumblebear

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Norfolk
    • http://southwellski.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2012, 09:50:02 pm »
You're not a million miles away from me Harry, so if you ever hear of a couple going spare.... :fc: we are only a family of 2 and a toddler.... :eyelashes:

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2012, 08:48:30 pm »
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 09:01:22 pm by harry »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS