Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: urgent help needed with bloated kune kune  (Read 8400 times)

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
Re: urgent help needed with bloated kune kune
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2012, 10:15:09 am »
Sorry to hear your loss its terrible but at least she went peacefully and thats a blessing. :bouquet:
Oe thing i would suggest for future reference is to buy your own digital thermomenter they cost about seven quid from fearings i think and are an invaluable aid to deciding whetehr to get the vet in or not. A raging temeprature is always a give away that something is very wrong and its an easy thing to do yourself.
Clover my GOS farrowed on Tuesday 11 piglets, yesterday morning she wouldn't eat her breakfast so the first thing i did was take her temp, it was normal (38.9 degc) and she was just a bit mopey so eft her breakfast with her, at lunchtime she'd eaten a little food but still off colour, temperature taken again showed normal so not unduly worried by teatime she was raveneous. I suspect that i had given her too much food the day before and she had become just 'overfaced' with it so i cut back her ration and divided it into four small feeds, thismorning shes back to her normal vociferous, arsy self, seargenat majoring her piglets like little soldiers, don't dare come out that creche til i'm rady for you! ;D
Anyway buy a thermometer and it will help greatly.
All the best
mandy :pig:

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2012, 08:46:05 pm »
just in case it happens i wondered what has to be done if a pig drops dead.... can i take it somewhere or does it have to be collected what are the regs

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2012, 11:16:58 pm »
Harry  :wave:
You are not allowed to move it from your land or dispose of it yourself anymore.  You must have it collected by your local, licensed  "knackers".  Same goes for any dead piglets, as you will need to keep the collection slip cross-referenced against your Herd Register.  You may be lucky enough to have a local licensed Hunt Kennels that may collect them for the dogs, but most won't use pigs, only sheep or calves.  The only concession is if your vet takes anything away for a PM, them they dispose of it in their controlled waste.
I use Greyhills & they charge £8.50 per collection, though it was cheaper if you were already part of the Fallen Stock Scheme.
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

robert waddell

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2012, 11:25:55 pm »
you can also have a licenced incinerator :farmer:

princesspiggy

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2012, 11:28:34 pm »
can u not take the body urself to SAC for post mortem?
i cant imagine my vets taking a dead body in their shiny 4x4's.
a friend of mine took her goat herself, iv only took a rabbit  ::)
our knackerman is good and quick, great source of gossip...tut tut...but 60p a piglet u cant complain.

Tamsaddle

• Joined May 2011
  • Hampshire, near Portsmouth
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2012, 08:03:33 am »
We took our dead sow to the laboratory for her PM ourselves, immediately after she was put down, so she was there within 1.5 hours.   The vets said this was OK, and as I said in an earlier post, it cost us almost exactly the same as getting the official knackers to take her away, a very big girl about 250 kg, only difference was I paid for the diesel to drive her over to the lab, not a big deal.  Tamsaddle

lotte

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2012, 05:57:03 pm »
How much does a pm cost?? It cost me £30 to have her taken to the incinerator!!

kitchen cottage

« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2012, 06:45:25 pm »
 :bouquet:  sorry about your pig.  Its 'orrible when they die. >:(

princesspiggy

« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2012, 09:59:43 pm »
i think the initial tests are highly subsidied then if u want more detail if costs more.
i think our rabbit was £30 or so. never had anything else pm-ed

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS