Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Damn, the quail hatched!  (Read 2945 times)

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
Damn, the quail hatched!
« on: July 06, 2012, 08:37:06 pm »
I've accidentally (long story!) hatched some quail, 2 out of 6 have hatched (at hens eggs temp..) I really wasn't prepared for them, so am keeping them in a large tuper wear container (on kitchen roll and have drilled air holes in it!) on a reptile heat mat. they are eating etc and not noisy so I'm hoping this is enough for the next few days?? How old are they before they can go outside/ - I would have done a ton of research before now if I thought they would hatch... Any tips for brooding them?

Also any tips on how to deal with a smug hubby? - I swore they wouldn't do, eggs from farm shop and wrong temp etc..
Old and rare breed Ducks, chickens, geese, sheep, guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, husband and chicks brooding in the tv cabinate!

Pasture Farm

• Joined Aug 2011
  • East Lincolnshire
  • Trusty Traca
    • Pasture Poultry
    • Facebook
Re: Damn, the quail hatched!
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 08:49:39 pm »
LOL    ive hatched hundreds    they must be kept warm once hatched idealy under a heat lamp. 35deg until they have their feathers feed them ground chick crumb until feathered then they need quail pelletts (Marriages) at around 8 weeks old they will be ok outside but must able to get out of the cold. At around 8-10 weeks they will be laying and if you have a cock and hens you can start again.  :thumbsup:   Good luck 

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 08:54:49 pm »
THANKS! Thats what I thought from having a very quick look online.  :)
Old and rare breed Ducks, chickens, geese, sheep, guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, husband and chicks brooding in the tv cabinate!

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 09:06:02 pm »
As Pasture Farm says. Much the same requirements as brooding chickens.

I find they are fully feathered and ready for outside by 5-6 weeks old.

They can be fed Layers mash if you can't get the quail pellets.

omnipeasant

• Joined May 2012
  • Llangurig , Mid Wales
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 09:51:02 pm »
Oh yee  of little faith, fancy thinking they wouldn't hatch!!  ::)

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 11:42:36 pm »
Well they seem to be doing ok, stuffing their faces with soaked chick crumbs and pecking everything. The eggs had been washed (by me) not settled and incubated at wrong temp. So it was meant to be as they have got his far!

Have fallen in love with them, hope they are 2 girls or I'll have to go and buy some more girls in a couple months! Need to find a cheap secure arc for them as well. Was thinking of keeping them in an arc within my movable chicken compound so can have regular freash ground.

omnipeasant

• Joined May 2012
  • Llangurig , Mid Wales
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012, 02:03:23 pm »
Hee hee I love my little quailies. only problem is getting them to go into the hut part of the arc so we can move it more often. They are straight into raptor mode, dispatching slugs when we move the arc.

WarescotFarm

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2012, 10:34:37 pm »
Ohhh I have some quail questions too
Can they go in with chickens and can they live outside all year round?
thanks
any pics of your chicks?
Miniature Falabella, Pygmy Goat, 2 Glouster Old Spots, 1 Long Island Red, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Dark Sussex, 1 Silkie, 1 Magpie Duck and hopefully some more chicks and ducklings due to hatch soon!

Pasture Farm

• Joined Aug 2011
  • East Lincolnshire
  • Trusty Traca
    • Pasture Poultry
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 07:24:46 am »
They can go in  with Chickens but its not ideal and will need to be contained else you wont see them again  :wave:  Also they need their own food (higher protien)All year round is ok but they need to be able get out of the cold

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS