Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Tell me about maiden milkers  (Read 5339 times)

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
Tell me about maiden milkers
« on: July 11, 2012, 09:55:05 pm »
So it looks like I may have a maiden milker. Our 2 year old BS has one side of her udder swollen. I have checked and there is no heat or lumps so I don't think it is mastitis. I managed to get some fluid out though it looked quite watery. It would be nice to get some milk from her so what should I do?
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Tell me about maiden milkers
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 10:00:05 pm »
Well I would massage it gently and 'milk' since whether she's in milk or has got low-level mastitis, it will be better emptied. And presumably which it is will become apparent in time  :)

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 10:53:53 pm »
Gilly turned out to be a maiden milker, apparently unusual in an AN, her udders aren't very big but enough to warrant milking her out once a day and it is slowly increasing :thumbsup:
Gill's milk was proper milk from the get go though ;)

I wonder if it was brought on by everyone else having kids and producing loads, but at least she is earning the food she demands. She's been fed the same as the mums as she beats then up/snaps her tether/throws a strop if I try and reduce her rations ::)  (she was only tethered at feeding time to give everyone else a chance to eat in peace)

We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 11:04:35 pm »
It could be normal milk as I didn't get it into a receptacle just on my hands as she wasn't overly cooperative. If I start milking her is she likely to produce on both sides of the udder or just the side that is currently swollen?
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 11:10:39 pm »
Gill only had a tiny smidge on one side to start off with, and the milk on both side was high up if that makes sense? Things have gradually evened up since so i would try milking both sides if even you only get a squirt or 2 to start off with :thumbsup:
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 07:31:06 am »
Our maiden milker Savannah started with a large udder which, when milked was just watery.
Like the others have said it needed 'milking' in case it was mastitis but sure enough, after a couple of days became milk.

We now have 9 pints a day of very good milk that makes all of the Baaath Time soap and keeps my 4 children, husband and mother in dairy!

I actually didn't want Vanna to produce milk this second year running, having brought in a pregnant Togg who has kidded now but she was insistent and despite keeping feed rations down, not milking too much off, only trying once a day to milk her it wasn't to be - I have no choice but to milk twice daily, stubborn madam  ::) [size=78%] [/size]
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 08:44:50 pm »
Our maiden milker Savannah started with a large udder which, when milked was just watery.
Like the others have said it needed 'milking' in case it was mastitis but sure enough, after a couple of days became milk.

We now have 9 pints a day of very good milk that makes all of the Baaath Time soap and keeps my 4 children, husband and mother in dairy!

I actually didn't want Vanna to produce milk this second year running, having brought in a pregnant Togg who has kidded now but she was insistent and despite keeping feed rations down, not milking too much off, only trying once a day to milk her it wasn't to be - I have no choice but to milk twice daily, stubborn madam  ::)

Put her into kid this autumn and you could have a stunning milker - milk record her if she is registered and get your girls to show her! :)

PS.: Is 9 pints a gallon?? As in 4.5ltrs?

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 08:50:29 pm »
not sure what it is in gallons or litres? but I get 5 pints morning, 4 pints afternoon/evening  :)

she's not registered and is a saanen crossed with ?? (alpine I think because she goes black and white in winter but is pure, brilliant white all summer!)

I was going to have a year off of kids and lambs next spring but will consider it  ;)  especially as a very large, London business have just contacted me with a proposition so I might be needing more milk....
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2012, 07:19:14 pm »
we have 1 maiden milker amongst ours, its a 2011 kid that we kept
we are milking her once a day and get 3 pints every morning off her, obviously if we milked her twice a day her yield should go up
Graham

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2012, 08:33:43 pm »
Well it is all rather strange. I managed to get some out of her yesterday and it looked like milk. Today it looked like water. I'm confused.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2012, 08:37:39 pm »
savanna's was watery to start with but her udder so huge that I had to do it a few days on the trot anyway to relieve her of the pressure, by which time it 'became' milk. It didn't taste great to begin with this year but  we found she had a cobalt deficiency soon rectified with some adam henson minerals (4 times the amount of cobalt than caprivite etc)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2012, 09:27:08 pm »
I have looked at the Adam henson minerals stuff, but decided to stay with Caprivite. But I have started to use the drench from his company, not sure if I noticed any difference though  :-\ .

As I never had an issue with milk tasting strange I have not investigated if we are actually copper or cobalt deficient...., maybe I should... :-\

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS