Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Weed Wiper  (Read 14252 times)

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
Weed Wiper
« on: July 11, 2012, 07:26:48 pm »
I'm thinking of getting a weedwiper to get rid of bracken specifically, and thistles and nettles where they are a problem.
So:
1. Anyone know of one in the yorkshire area for sale?
2. Anyone had any experience, good or bad, of them?
 As I'm planning to use Roundup in it, I'm wanting to know whether they have been found to drip onto the grass below. The manufacturers say not, but then they would, wouldn't they? Having just reseeded 5 acres, I don't want my lovely new seeds turned into a brown wasteland, because "sometimes it drips a bit." 
 So any info gratefully received. :eyelashes:
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 09:41:27 pm by Dan »
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
Re: Weed Wiper
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 09:45:20 am »
 :wave: Surely, with the wealth of knowledge and experience here, somebody must know something??
 I can't believe you're all going round with knapsack sprayers.!! :eyelashes: 
Rules are made:

robert waddell

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 10:17:24 am »
well it looks that way              there are several choices on this   the first is the good old reliable knapsack sprayer       and before that you had a glove with sponge in the palm that you squeezed onto the plant     then came the weed wiper acres done for not much weedkiller used   you also could get a weed wand     i have seen the occasional one for sale    i never heard of them leaking    possibly if over filled or incorrectly used or even damaged    then they would leak :farmer:

Factotum

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 10:19:16 am »
Yup, knapsack sprayer here, Mr won't get anything mechanised whilst he has me to stagger around the fields wielding my trusty lance :innocent:

Only 47 acres to cover & he says it's good exercise for me...

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 11:04:16 am »
Don't suppose you live anywhere near Yorkshire do you?
Wouldn't take you long to do 5 acres now you're so fit and experienced
In fact I'm surprised your OH hasn't thought of hiring you out ;D

Thanks for your assessment Robert - actually the glove with a sponge doesn't sound a bad idea, or I might look for a weed wand.
The trouble with bracken is that now Asulox is forbidden, the only alternative is glyphosate which kills everything it touches so I've got to be careful how it's applied.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 11:10:46 am by landroverroy »
Rules are made:

Factotum

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 03:19:36 pm »
I've heard of mixing glyphosate with wall paper paste to make it thick and  'gloopy' and then painting it on specific plants with a brush.

Make sure the neighbours don't see you doing it.

Sue

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2012, 09:34:14 am »
We use a mop and bucket with the mop it wrapped in a tea towel.  The neighbours are amused anyway but it seems to work
Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2012, 03:19:23 pm »
Sounds promising. Thanks - I'll give it a go.  :fc:
Rules are made:

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2012, 05:21:53 pm »
Hi,
      I have a weed wand that I bought to tackle the weeds in the rockery and the red mite last year. I got it from the garden centre and it is effective with some weeds.
     I dont think I have ever seen a weed wiper but I use a resolva 24 hour spray which only wets the leaves and dosent run off.  If you overspray of course it will kill what it touches but I spray the ragwort in the fields with it and it dosent devistate the surounding area.
You can mix the concentration to address broad leaf or stubborn weeds and it does kill brambles.
If you cant get a weed wipe then I think I would strim it all back with the bush cutter, treat it with the weed wand and spray whats left.
Can I come and pick the blackberries first though :eyelashes:

tobytoby

• Joined May 2011
  • north ayrshire
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2012, 09:20:33 pm »
Add in a good squish of squeezy/fairy liquid and this will help it stick to the leaves - i added it to Grazon and the docks are dying quickly and the grass untouched.

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2012, 09:33:18 am »
Hi,

There is a product specifically for clearing "Woody" weeds from grassland (brambles etc), which also kills cut tree stumps, Japanese Knotweed, Docks, thistles etc.

It is called Kaskara.

We sell this at £35.99 per litre.

This may be better than buying a weed-wiper.

Thanks
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

luckylady

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2012, 08:52:37 am »
Landroverroy, did you ever get a weed wiper?  I am after a largeish hand held one too to treat around the paddock edges, farmbuildings etc.  I don't want to spray as we have water courses closeby but bushcutting/strimming just isn't effective enough especially this year - everything seems to be crossed with a trifid!  Any feedback appreciated.
Doing that swan thing - cool and calm on the surface but paddling like crazy beneath.

robert waddell

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2012, 09:50:36 am »
it is a long time since i have had anything to do with roundup   one of its benefits was it was inactivated on contact with water    ponds rivers etc  and could be used on the edges of them :farmer:

luckylady

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2012, 05:14:04 pm »
Oh thankyou Robert.  :thumbsup: .  I didn't know that.  I had assumed most weedkillers were a polutant and thats the last thing I want. Will roundup deal with the really well established thistles, nettles and brambles?
Doing that swan thing - cool and calm on the surface but paddling like crazy beneath.

robert waddell

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2012, 06:55:22 pm »
as long as it is green and grownig it will kill it :farmer:

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS