Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Reusable vs disposable needles ... size etc .....  (Read 4375 times)

P6te

• Joined Jan 2012
  • South Derbyshire
Reusable vs disposable needles ... size etc .....
« on: July 11, 2012, 12:37:21 pm »
I am about to order supplies to go with the Slap Shot and being new to needles and syringes etc thought I'd check a few things out ....

Having done a bit of research, I see the smaller the needle gauge, the larger the needle is.  I'm proposing to purchase 18g ... is that a reasonable all round size for pigs of varying ages?

I have also seen both disposable and reusable needles, neither are particularly expensive so which do people recommend?

On the Slap-Shot topic I was advised 1/2" needles so that's the length I'm planning on getting.

My initial requirement is to inject Noromectin to worm the pigs and as such I think a 2ml syringe would be the correct size but is it worth having 5ml, 10ml 15ml or 20ml in 'stock' in readiness?

Anything else I may have missed?

Many thanks

Pete
Live for today
Plan for tomorrow

Button End Beasts

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Harston, Cambridgeshire
Re: Reusable vs disposable needles ... size etc .....
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 12:44:11 pm »
Hi!

We used a 5 ml syringe to give a 2 ml injection of noromectin with our snapshot. The snapshot took about 2 ml of liquid alone, then you need to get 2 ml into the pig.

We used disposable 21G, 16 mm as that is the smallest I currently have. Will be interested to see others views on this!

Button End Beasts

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Harston, Cambridgeshire
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 12:46:08 pm »
Sorry I meant slapshot, damn spellchecker! ;D

Tamsaddle

• Joined May 2011
  • Hampshire, near Portsmouth
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 01:02:26 pm »
When you start having to inject older mature pigs we find their skin is so thick and leathery that reusable needles almost always bend or break, so now always use metal luer lock ones for them.   For piglets and weaners plastic disposable ones work OK.   Length of needle is a function of the medication - it almost always says in the small print whether you are meant to be doing a sub-cutaneous injection, in which case 1/2" are fine, or deep intra muscular, where you will need something longer.   Tamsaddle

Tamsaddle

• Joined May 2011
  • Hampshire, near Portsmouth
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 01:06:43 pm »
Me writing rubbish as well.   I meant "disposable" needles bend or break in older pigs, not "re-usable".   Also, in the small print in your medication bottle, it will usually suggest what size needle to use, gauge and length.   Tamsaddle

HappyHippy

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 01:39:18 pm »
We use a bit of everything  ;D

We have 5ml disposable syringes and piglet sized needles (usually a 21G, 5/8th of an inch in length)
Then we have medium sized ones (for weaners & young Kunekunes) which are normally an inch long and a 16G or 18G depending on what supplier we use. And lastly some big ones, normally 1 and a half inches and around a 14G. These are all disposable needles, we don't use the reuseable needles for the same reason as Tamsaddle - they tend to go blunt and end up bending  :-\
We have a big luer lock re-usable syringe that is used for injecting 'big' pigs, so we don't lose needles in pigs  ;) We wash it out and put it through the baby bottle steriliser. But for the little or easily restrained ones it's normally easier to use a disposable syringe.

A good tip I was given is to use one needle to puncture the bottle and leave it in place, using it to fill your syringes without having multiple stab holes in the rubber top.

Oh and if you're injecting pigs over 150Kg with wormer - you're gonna need a bigger syringe than 5ml (unless you fancy doing it twice  ;))
HTH
Karen  :wave:

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 06:27:03 pm »
The instructions that come with your medicine will tell you what type and size of needle you need.

P6te

• Joined Jan 2012
  • South Derbyshire
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 09:00:47 pm »
All,

Thank you very much for your replies, I'll get a selection of syringes and needles based on your collective advice. 

Hughesy - I recognise instructions will accompany the various medications but I hope to have syringes and needles to cover most of the likely eventualities.

Pete
Live for today
Plan for tomorrow

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 09:57:43 pm »
I just get disposable ones when I get the medicine. Keeps it simple.

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2012, 12:20:35 am »
Reusable luer lock needles are great - much better than wasting time (and money) bending needles and losing medication. I find the most useful size for older gilts and sows (traditional breeds) is 18 gauge/1.5 inch. The length of the needle means the medication gets through the fat. I use 16 gauge for thicker stuff, like Dectomax.
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2012, 07:16:06 pm »
Liz where do you get your luer lock needles from?
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

HappyHippy

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2012, 08:00:24 pm »
You should be able to get them at Fearings, Holmefield Farm Services (York) or most of the agri-supply places BB  ;)
http://www.fearing.co.uk/animal-health/needles/disposable-needles
HTH
Karen  :wave:

P6te

• Joined Jan 2012
  • South Derbyshire
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2012, 08:55:05 pm »
Today I purchased Luer Lock needles and syringes from Farm & Country Supplies. I was told that all their needles and syringes are Luer Lock. I also purchased the Slap-Shot (that takes Luer Lock) from there.

Pete

Live for today
Plan for tomorrow

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2012, 10:52:40 pm »
Thanks Karen and pete, I use the luer lock on my masterject but they only sell 13g x 1 1/2 @ £10 for 12 so fearings are a lot cheaper and have a selection of sizes.  :thumbsup:
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS