Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: One of my piglets is missing!  (Read 6850 times)

princesspiggy

Re: One of my piglets is missing!
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2012, 11:57:30 pm »
this year we have lost 2 ducks, a turkey and 2 hens to foxes.

oh no...we found the turkey today sitting on one egg in the bushes .....shame its not fertile.

:D :wave:

reedos

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Barton Upon Humber
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2012, 11:28:11 pm »
Well he didn't turn up and two ducks went missing. I'm away again and somebody has nicked 8 ten week old chickens and their feeders, so it looks like thieves. Beccy is really unsettled, she thinks she may have disturbed the buggers last night and is worried that it happens when I'm not home.

We don't live on our field, live about 100-150 yards away with houses in between. I'm trawling the internet for bear traps - what security does anybody else have? The police helpfully said we needed to rehouse the animals until we could make the field more secure, but didn't say how we did that!

princesspiggy

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2012, 07:36:20 am »
our police told us to get cctv. they didnt offer to pay for it tho. u can padlock the hinge end of gates, but then u only need wirecutters for the fence if ur determined.
very sad as chickens r v portable. xept 6ft fencing, what can u do. mains electric fence?

>:( >:(

secuono

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2012, 04:59:48 pm »
If you cannot be there 24/7, I would install security cameras and take the footage to the police. Or, since you have electric, you can hike up your fence where it's too tall for anyone to simply walk over it.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS