Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: HELP My 4 day old chicks have disappeared!!!!  (Read 7059 times)

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: HELP My 4 day old chicks have disappeared!!!!
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2012, 08:24:27 pm »
It will be rats WarescotFarm. Although another chicken is possible it is the least likely by miles- mum would have fought her off. We have 12mm weldmesh around and over ours and they are kept isolated with mum when applicable. Any bigger mesh and the chicks can get their heads through and then get bitten off. Gamekeeper friend had lots of chicks with no heads and couldn't work out why. So he watched and waited. Seems the rats frightened the chicks at one end of the pen and they stuck their heads out of the wire at the other end trying to get away and another rat was quietly waiting.

We don't have a base mesh because I am worried about little feet getting caught in it. So we move the run and coop daily and keep it well out in the open. The top also has plastic sheeting over the mesh for shelter.

So next stage before hatching again is a purpose built broody run and coop -a large rabbit hutch and run may do the job if the mesh is small enough. They also may need wind protection around the outside bottom.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2012, 08:50:15 pm »
.....Any bigger mesh and the chicks can get their heads through and then get bitten off. Gamekeeper friend had lots of chicks with no heads and couldn't work out why. So he watched and waited. Seems the rats frightened the chicks at one end of the pen and they stuck their heads out of the wire at the other end trying to get away and another rat was quietly waiting.

Clever chaps  :(

My Mum had a similar problem years ago.  The culprit turned out to be our big ginger tomcat, sitting on top of the brooders and when the chicks popped their heads out to eat from the little troughs along the sides, he leant forwards and snapped off their heads  :o :cat:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2012, 10:55:10 pm »
Corrrr blimey  :o

Oneeyedhen

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2012, 08:36:49 am »
So sorry about your chickies, new life is always so looked forward too and can be so gutting when it doesnt go to plan. Livestock, who'd have em >:( !!

WarescotFarm

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2012, 07:22:01 pm »
I never knew rats were so clever, I would invest in a cat of that wouldn't cause the same problem. And yes you are right about the rabbit hutch I am scanning preloved right now - thanks!
Miniature Falabella, Pygmy Goat, 2 Glouster Old Spots, 1 Long Island Red, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Dark Sussex, 1 Silkie, 1 Magpie Duck and hopefully some more chicks and ducklings due to hatch soon!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS