Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Spinning on a - did you say Stick???  (Read 1496 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Spinning on a - did you say Stick???
« on: July 09, 2012, 05:43:39 pm »
I went to a local exhibition - Wool on the Wall - yesterday and of course I had to buy something.

So, having only learned to spin on a drop spindle last month (because I was going on holiday so needed to be able to spin in the car), yesterday I bought a spindle stick. :bonkers:

The couple who make and sell them were using them on their stand, and I even had a go... but of course on getting home it all made no sense whatsoever.  ::)

I found this video on youTube - and now hear - and see - that some people really do spin on a pencil, a twig...
Spinning Fibre with a Stick

I haven't mastered it yet - but what fun!   :D

Anyone else here done this?

Oh - here's a pic of my stick.  It's not a Russion unsupported spindle, no - though I shall have a go at using it thus, also, I expect.  :innocent:

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Spinning on a - did you say Stick???
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 06:26:13 pm »
I've never heard of such a thing. She makes it look so easy.
Your stick looks lovely
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 06:38:53 pm »
Yes I used found sticks (hooked and straight) in the woods with children before I got my drop spindle - quite often as a 2 child activity - one drafts one twirls.  Its obviously a LOT slower, but I think it gives you (and for me more importantly children) a real understanding of what is hapening.  I got it out of a beatiful set of book on German kindergartens (SPRING, SUMMER, AUTUMN, WINTER), if anyone is interested in nature inspired activities with children.  Lovely link thanks

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 09:23:13 pm »
How does it get the twist though? I'm gonna have to try this!

Dans - really needs to stop finding things to try and start finishing her studies!
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 10:03:12 pm »
Think I'll try to get to grips with my drop spindle first.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS