Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How to get a pig into a poke (sorry trailer)  (Read 7530 times)

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
Re: How to get a pig into a poke (sorry trailer)
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2012, 10:19:09 am »
I always seem to have one who hangs back until the others are in then sounds the alarm and they all rush out again. It's one of those jobs that can take 2 minutes or 2 hours. ::)
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

dyedinthewool

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Orpingtons and assorted Sheep
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2012, 10:15:38 pm »
Well...!!!!!
After all that worring about how to get them in the trailer... ::) ::) in the end we had to KEEP them out the trailer.  It has a normal Ifor Williams metal base sides and ramp but we put a 'made up' plywood top on when we need to take lambs to market  - you can guess what I'm going to say - YES they decided to chew a hole in the ply side.  OH had to get some tin and pot-rivet all round the inside.
Due to the bad weather - pen is like the Somme, I kept them shut in the shed for the last two days.  Plenty of straw to hopefully clean the mud off - gave them a brushing with a bristle scrubbing brush - which they thought was marvelous.  Did the Slap marker on Sunday - just hope I've done it hard enough, had a practise on a joint of pork (Morrisons) on a box about  :pig: height.
Tonight put a load of straw in the trailer and some nuts and apples, opened their door rattled a bucket and they followed (pen still muddy and they now have black boots) straight into the trailer, did the rades and ramp up.  we're off to Tregaron early in the morning... :( :(
They've been a lot of fun despite the weather - who said have your weaners in the summer - I've worn my wet weather gear more in the last two months than I did all winter.
Next task will be getting the pen back into some sort off order, cleaning their shed and then enjoying the joint of pork for dinner :yum: :yum:
Thanks to Blinkers for all her help and advice and especially for her two  :pig: :pig:  GOS girls.  :trophy:
You are never to old to learn something new

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2012, 10:43:11 pm »
Its a pleasure DITW.....and good luck for tomorrow  :thumbsup:    We get as much enjoyment out of new pig keepers enjoying rearing their own pigs first time around, as we do keeping and rearing our own.  Everyone starts somewhere and its always a learning curve....if only the pigs would read the manual too  ;D :-J ...it would all be so much easier...but no where NEAR as much fun.  Well done you especially in the difficult weather conditions we've had this year.   NEXT year it'll be a doddle  :innocent: ;)
xx
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

dyedinthewool

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Orpingtons and assorted Sheep
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2012, 10:22:30 pm »
Okay.....!!!***
An early start - no breakfast, not good :'(  apparently Prince Charles and Camilla were visiting Tregaron - Neil wanted to get slaughtering done as early as possible so could we get there earlier than 9-45 - rushed round opening up the hen sheds and checking the broody with her 1 little chick.

Made sure all the sheep had four legs each.

Piggies quiet as mice in the trailer so gave them a couple of apples as a 'last' treat.
We left at 7-19 am got to Tregaron 9-15 not a bad run despite all the twisty roads.
All went well until we got to the abbatoir then the girls refused to come out... ::) ::)  no amount of coaxing- (should have remembered to take their bucket with some nuts in)in the end a guy also waiting to unload a pig and one of the abbatoir guys gave us a hand one pushed and one pulled and finally persuaded them to get out - if that guy is a TAS forumer then Thanks very much...
No hassel from Neil because we were having problems. I was very concerned we would be told to take them home. 

How do you all get your piggies to leave their trailers. Dummy  :dunce: :-[  that I am I thought they would just be pleased to get out after the journey. 

Seemed weird tonight when doing the feeding round, no piggy girls charging round their pen 'barking',grunting and rushing into their shed to wait for their tea.  :( :(

You are never to old to learn something new

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2012, 10:45:46 pm »
Well done  :thumbsup:  it must have been a stressful situation. A one I've not been in as not had any livestock ( yet ) . It's something I would not have thought about either, somebody will give good advice soon I'm sure.

Again well done, and look forward to your comments on the return of the harvest from your work  :thumbsup:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2012, 11:37:31 pm »
Thanks for reminding me ditw - that's the exact same problem I had.  Taking bucket to abattoir is definitely a good plan  :thumbsup:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS