Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Free Bees - South Wales  (Read 2496 times)

recoil

• Joined Oct 2011
Free Bees - South Wales
« on: July 08, 2012, 09:59:27 am »
I've got some honey bees swarming on my apple tree and I need to get rid of them. Located in Blackwood, NP12. My phone number is 07890051743 and I could do with them gone ASAP. Thanks.  :)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Free Bees - South Wales
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 10:14:58 am »
recoil, have you contacted yout local bee keeping club? They usually have a swarm coordinator who can arrange for someone to come and get them
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

P6te

• Joined Jan 2012
  • South Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 09:51:21 pm »
As Sally said, I do know that the majority of Beekeepers Association have a list of people in their area  who will collect, alternatively you could put a post in the BeeKeeping Section on here.

Pete
Live for today
Plan for tomorrow

recoil

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 08:51:22 pm »
They disappeared not long after I posted on here. Hope they haven't decided to make any of our sheds home.

P6te

• Joined Jan 2012
  • South Derbyshire
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 10:05:59 pm »
When a swarm lands and clusters (as I assume was the case in your Apple Tree) they have just left their old home (usually a beekeepers hive) and have temporarily settled whilst 'scout bees' go off in search of a permanent home.  (The scout bees are potentially a few hundred worker bees, a strong prime or first swarm may contain in the region 25,000  bees)

When the scout bees have located a suitable place they return to the swarm and tell the bees by way of the waggle dance where the location is and they all then set off for their new home.

Pete
Live for today
Plan for tomorrow

Maria1969

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 08:42:02 am »
Wow P6te.....Bees are just fantastic, clever little bugg*rs thats for sure.

Maria  ;D
1 x soon to be husband, 2 x kids, 1 x dog, 1 x cat, 10 x ex bat chickens, 2 x rabbits, 1 x Gecko and 6 x 12 week old cocker spaniel puppies :0)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS