Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: When and with what to kill off docks?  (Read 9130 times)

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
When and with what to kill off docks?
« on: July 08, 2012, 09:43:12 am »
our fields are overrun with docks and we don't have enough sheep left to graze them down with the sheep.  We have a sprayer, anyone got any guidance as to when we should spray and with what?

many thanks

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
Re: When and with what to kill off docks?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 10:03:03 am »

:sofa:

I spray the docks every two weeks with glyphosate. They are usually in with the creeping buttercup which can also "do one" in my view but if they are in amongst anything nice (including grass) or near to any fruit/veg plants then I paint the glyphosate on by hand with a 1" paintbrush.

I would love to do the organic thing and deal with them in another way but too many docks and too little time make other approaches - especially getting on my hands and knees and pulling them up - impractical.

I would add that I only do this in the fields where the sheep aren't.

We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 10:15:18 am »
thanks, though i cant do them every 2 weeks as i cant keep the horses off for such a long time.  i kind of need something i can do and then put them back on in a couple of weeks...

and also that can be done in our bizarrre scottish weather :(

Factotum

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 10:25:58 am »
Depitox seems to be active against docks, and doesn't kill grass - and it works much faster than Glyphosate.

When I sprayed one field with Depitox, the weeds, including the ragwort, were changing within hours. The product info recommends keeping livestock off the grass for 14 days.

Depitox is 2,4 D and is widely available - ask at your Agri Supplies or check on-line.

As for our weather - any herbicide should be sprayed in dry conditions - you may have to wait awhile... :)

Sue

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 10:48:30 am »
I think Pastor and Grazon90 should kill docks and not grass too.

Topping/strimming/scything them regularly should work as well
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 10:51:28 am by jaykay »

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 11:28:21 am »

Jaykay - we have a field full of docks that are just about to seed (seeds still green though).  Just wondering, if I strim them now, do I need to gather up the cut bits to stop them from seeding, or will the seeds not be developed enough yet to be viable?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2012, 12:05:49 pm »
I think you'd be safer raking up the cut stuff. Apart from anything else it'll improve the grass underneath. Of course that does depend just how much raking you'd have to do. The seeds can carry on ripening a bit, though whether or not they'd get to be viable I don't know.

I've left mine too late - been cutting them just now but they've seeded  :P
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 12:07:26 pm by jaykay »

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2012, 12:18:58 pm »
Oooh - I am going to give the Depitox a go I think.
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 08:04:39 pm »
Just seen this thread - a bit late on the uptake ::)
If you have the energy...this has worked in a 1 acre paddock which was overun with docks.  I dont touch them until the seed heads have formed then, dragging a big builders bag behind me, I chop off the flowering stalks and dump them in the bag (not much bending as I have a bad back).  I work my way round the paddock over a couple of weeks and pick up only the flowering stalks.  It will take several bags - and burn the contents.  In 3 years I have almost eradicated the docks and now it is just a a case of keeping on top of the few remaining ones.  Later in the year I might scythe off any non flowering stems for the sheep.
Best compliment I have received was from the previous owner (farmer) who said the field has never looked so good  ;) .  They all think I am mad though :innocent:

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2012, 09:48:31 am »
We have just taken on a hectare of land adjacent to our existing fields. It is gently sloping and has been untouched for at least a decade.   The makeup is 30% waist high nettles, 20% flowering ragwort, 40% basically ok ryegrass and the balance is giant hogweed, brambles etc. 

I think it's too late to spray so the plan is to keep cutting it through to September and then seed it with grass mix.  If the lad with the baler actually turns up then we will cut, bale and burn the crap.

If this works I think we will need to spray in the spring to kill the weeds that will be coming up.

Any thoughts on this as a strategy?  Unless we can get the ragwort off the land we can't put any stock on it this year.
Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

Deere

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Peak District
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2012, 02:59:19 pm »
Hi,

I think if you pull out the ragwort by hand and top the remainder there's no reason why you can't stock it?
The younger weeds will be grazed off along with the grass and as long as you pull any ragwort up as it appears through the grass you should be fine.

I started managing some similar grass last year and after pulling the ragwort, topping and stocking with sheep in early spring there's been a huge reduction in weed.  The younger growing ragwort plants in the spring aren't as toxic too ewes so they graze them off.

I've still got some ragwort on the land grazed by the cattle but it's a lot less than half as bad last year!

Toppings usually best this time of year and sprayings better in the spring is what I've usually gone by?

Good luck with the weeds!

Tim
Pedigree Ryelands, Charolais cross Mules

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS