Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: chest freezers  (Read 14484 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: chest freezers
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2012, 05:17:59 pm »
I need a chest freezer for when my weaners go. Today I looked at this model in Currys
http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/beko-chest-freezers/333_3129_30216_2169_xx/xx-criteria.html
There is £150 saving on it at the moment and it has freezer guard which means you can use it in an outside room i.e. garage
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2012, 05:21:09 pm »
Just realised that this model is out of stock on line but they had one in the shop
Sally

rockstar

• Joined Jan 2012
  • powys
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2012, 08:45:43 pm »
 Thanks bionic thats the size im after for my porkers and lamb .

rockstar

• Joined Jan 2012
  • powys
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2012, 09:00:28 pm »
I may get a commercial chest freezer,been looking at a Vestfrost model SZ362C  374 litre this has a 5 year parts and labour warranty, for about same price.

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2012, 12:20:24 am »
It is a commercial model, but it still is designed to work only down to 10deg.  Beko seems to be the only domestic manufactuer making freezers for really cold conditions and Which? magazine confirms that they work.
Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2012, 10:32:04 am »
Just ordered the Beko on line as it doesn't say out of stock this morning. It will be delivered on Thursday
Sally

rockstar

• Joined Jan 2012
  • powys
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2012, 05:08:25 pm »
Just ordered the Beko on line as it doesn't say out of stock this morning. It will be delivered on Thursday
Sally
Hi , we like the look of the freezer you bought do currys give a warranty .

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2012, 05:10:18 pm »
Its only a years warranty. For 3 years it costs £99. I didn't go for that option.

I like the Beko because it has the freezer guard and will be ok down to -15 degrees
Sally

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2012, 05:22:29 pm »
I avoided Beko because of this (not so much the fault, the fact it took a lot of serious fires for them to finally issue a recall)
http://www.which.co.uk/home-and-garden/kitchen/guides/beko-fridge-freezer-fire-risk-qanda/
My commercial one has coped in an outhouse with a frost stat heater in it (ie only comes on if temp goes below zero) no problem. Might invalidate the warranty but to me a company thats prepared to give a 5 year warranty suggests a better quality product than one that will only stand by it for 12 months, so I reckon it is less likely to go wrong.
Maybe the Beko copes with the low temps by lighting a fire inside itself (joke and I do have one of their washing machines and it is pretty good :-)))))

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2012, 12:56:36 am »
I can understand that, but the issue is a bit broader.  The gas-liquid pumped around a freezer operates in a given range, and the lowest certified climate class starts at 10 deg but it can be 16 or 18deg.

Its very similar to the reason why a butane bottle just stops working at low tempertures while propane stays alive.  It's the latent heat of vaporisaion needed to turn the liquid back into a gas that does the cooling.  Thus lots of freezers working at 10deg will only achieve -16deg inside because it's outside its design parameters.

Maybe the Vestfrost does work at Zero despite its stated climate class.  But having to heat a room to make a freezer work seems odd to me irrespective of warranty

Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2012, 01:32:50 am »
I'm glad that at least one company does now supply a chest freezer that's warranted to work in the circumstances most of us run ours in.

I had the same task last year, finding one for me.  At that time the Beko one did not have the capability, the Norfrost one had generally poor reviews, and I wrote up how I got on with Whirlpool and Miele here:
http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/index.php?topic=17302.msg164351#msg164351

Thankfully the most recent winter didn't put it to the test.  It's been working beautifully so far.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2012, 09:43:50 am »
My freezer arrived at 8.40 this morning. Excellent delivery service. 2 nice men unpacked it and put it in place.
Sally

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2012, 10:43:02 am »
My freezer arrived at 8.40 this morning. Excellent delivery service. 2 nice men unpacked it and put it in place.
Sally
Good news.  Now just to fill it...  ;D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2012, 01:03:18 pm »
I can understand that, but the issue is a bit broader.  The gas-liquid pumped around a freezer operates in a given range, and the lowest certified climate class starts at 10 deg but it can be 16 or 18deg.

Its very similar to the reason why a butane bottle just stops working at low tempertures while propane stays alive.  It's the latent heat of vaporisaion needed to turn the liquid back into a gas that does the cooling.  Thus lots of freezers working at 10deg will only achieve -16deg inside because it's outside its design parameters.

Maybe the Vestfrost does work at Zero despite its stated climate class.  But having to heat a room to make a freezer work seems odd to me irrespective of warranty
Not that odd if the place needs to be kept just above zero to stop pipes freezing - which is our scenario - additional cost for the freezer is therefore £0 as it is happening anyway. It depends on the individual cirumstances and situation, like most things.

rockstar

• Joined Jan 2012
  • powys
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2012, 06:59:04 pm »
Hi bionic ,do you think there is plenty of space in this freezer for 2 porkers and 1 lamb plus other bits, im so undicided between BEKO OR VESTFROST.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS