Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: recycling old metal bed frames  (Read 3681 times)

rustyme

recycling old metal bed frames
« on: May 02, 2009, 02:40:07 pm »
I have been out this morning , with a lump hammer and a cold chisel , knocking apart a couple of old angle iron bed frames. The reason being I am going to make a metalworking bench out of them . The ideal would have been to have had a pair of bunk beds, nearly the right size as is, for the top and the shelf below. But, luck wasn't on my side . I looked through the scrap pile and came up with two old double beds . Both are hinged in the middle , so I don't have the onepiece 6 foot plus lengths I really wanted , although I think I know where there is a single bed frame with one piece lengthwise angle. The frames I have although rusty , will clean up good enough for a bench and, as I found out while knocking them apart , they are more than strong enough for the job. Knocking them apart entailed cutting through the rivets, that were holding the triangular corner plates that held the frame together. All I have to do is knock out the old rivets now and the holes can be used to bolt the frame together in the new shape of the bench . Even the triangular plates are sound. I Just have to cut the legs to length and the end frame bits , and it can be bolted together again . It will just need cleaning with a wire brush and painting , then a top work surface and a shelf surface of 4"x1" or similar, and job done . A dozen or so bolts , that cost £1.04 per 100 ,a few feet of timber and some free scrap bed frames, and I have a workbench 6'6" x 2'6" x 2'6" ish.  Pop it in the shed , bolt on the record 25 vice and a heavy leg vice and away I go nearly free bench . I should also have enough angle iron to make the forge as well . A little bit of work and time and I have saved myself £300-£400 , not bad eh ? 

cheers

Russ

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS