Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: unpleasant surprise  (Read 4821 times)

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
unpleasant surprise
« on: July 07, 2012, 08:44:44 pm »
The Wife and some of the children were clipping some of our sheep. turns out there was one that was still to lamb. thought she had been missed. anyway she then went onto abort a nearly term lamb. the kids were in tears wanting us to save it. It took some convincing that the best thing to do was let nature take its course. rather annoyed that they did not check before starting to work with her.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: unpleasant surprise
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 08:58:24 pm »
Oh no. Poor ewe and poor kids  :-\

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 09:02:42 pm »
Oh so sorry. Awful for the kids. It's something I guess you only ever do ( or don't do in this case ) once  :-\

If only hindsight...   :bouquet:

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 09:29:24 pm »
Been a funny old lambing this year. Mine usually all lamb in April but had one lamb a few days ago (with sad result) and am watching the only one who hasn't lambed like a hawk. It's sad to lose a lamb, especially if (with hindsight) you may have saved it :(

plt102

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 02:12:45 pm »
We think we have a pregnant ewe 2 months after our others are all done and she is huge. We thought she was just fat but she looked like she was bagging up when we bought them in for a check over. We are going on a fortnight holiday soon. Gulp!
I hope we didn't upset her too much at the weekend as I would hate to go through what you did. Ikm so sorry for you. Hugs x

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 03:36:32 pm »
you would have known by now. its a shame she just was not showing and being 6 weeks since the last one we just assumed she had not got into lamb. the ram is a 1 year old so did not expect him to do so well.  we now have a ewe with a retained after birth and having to have antibiotics and the drug to induce the afterbirth to come away. the little chap did very well 150% fertility rate.

plt102

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 04:40:49 pm »
Our ewe lambed yesterday. Small but healthy lamb. Looks like we hurried it on a bit but luckily no harm done so far. We have one more 'barren' ewe that we are now watching like hawks just in case xxx

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 07:24:22 pm »
good luck.

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 07:34:30 pm »
How does the saying go about rams ...( Put him in bonfire night for April fools day Lambs ) seems about right... :thumbsup:

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 07:13:10 am »
you would have known by now. its a shame she just was not showing and being 6 weeks since the last one we just assumed she had not got into lamb. the ram is a 1 year old so did not expect him to do so well.  we now have a ewe with a retained after birth and having to have antibiotics and the drug to induce the afterbirth to come away. the little chap did very well 150% fertility rate.

We used a 5 month old C Moorit ram lamb on 4 ewes, put in 1st Nov - 5 lambs early April and 2 early May - 175% so well impressed with his abilities, although we never saw anything!!
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2012, 09:15:49 am »
just shy. thats very good for such a young chap.

horsemadmummy

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2012, 10:46:15 am »
we had a suffolk boy who went off just after bonfire night for the freezer he was 7 months old and yep he had five girls and we had 8 lambs!!!  born on 1 april - bang on queue!

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
    • Somerset Pet Sitting and Dog Walking
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2012, 07:26:12 pm »
Our ewe lambed yesterday. Small but healthy lamb. Looks like we hurried it on a bit but luckily no harm done so far. We have one more 'barren' ewe that we are now watching like hawks just in case xxx
I thought I had a barren Shetland.... she missed the Poll Dorset tup in October plus 2 Shetland tups in November and January and the others all lambed in March.... her udders have now dropped quite a lot and she is pretty well rounded.  By the end of July is my guessing!
From 3 to 30 and still flocking up!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS