Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: why do my girls have hair loss and odd red sores?  (Read 2722 times)

Browntea

• Joined Sep 2010
  • North Yorkshire
why do my girls have hair loss and odd red sores?
« on: July 06, 2012, 06:54:46 pm »
hi folks we need some advice and help here please, as the title says our 2 girls a berkshire and a "white pig" both around 2yrs old are starting to get hair loss round there knecks and 10p sized sores on their sides....what is it?
we brought in a boar last weekend and its seems to me that they have got it from him?? but at the same time i did bed up with some barley straw that the have had before though so i doubt its the bedding but cant be sure
the lad is a berkshire but has lived indoors all his lfe :( he is about 5 yr old i think and has flaky skin on his back and does seem to be a little red in places too and bald patches...so he has brought something with him...??? but what? and what do i do to get rid?
I have some paramectin if that helps
All and any advice/help very much welcomed thanks

Browntea

• Joined Sep 2010
  • North Yorkshire
Re: why do my girls have hair loss and odd red sores?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 07:05:48 pm »
I just googled this and it seems they may have mange!! if im right paramectin will sort it,but please i welcome your suggestions thanks

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 07:36:34 pm »
It does sound like mange  :-\
I've not used paramectin (normally noromectin for me), but as long as it treats external parasites and is licenced for pigs it'll be fine  :thumbsup: You'll notice a change within a couple of days and it's worth getting all the old bedding out, disinfecting your arc and burning the old bedding asap.
Hope they're all feeling better soon !
Karen  :wave:

Browntea

• Joined Sep 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 08:08:28 pm »
many thanks Karen, busy day tomorrow then!! :)

Polished Arrow

• Joined Mar 2012
  • Forest of Dean
  • www.cinderhilllfarm.com
    • www.cinderhillfarm.com
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 12:16:38 am »
Not great weather for a bonfire...  :-\

www.cinderhillfarm.com

We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are.
Anais Nin

Browntea

• Joined Sep 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 11:28:37 am »
It's bloody lovely up here this morning :)

princesspiggy

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012, 03:32:17 pm »
id be a bit naffed if id hired a boar and he brought crawlies with him. thats alot of work and expense for u to burn bedding and jab them all. tut tut. did u pay a stud fee?
if ud jabbed him the day he arrived, how long would it take to work if u quarantined him?

Browntea

• Joined Sep 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2012, 04:54:22 pm »
No stud fee, the guy is local and he has said he will help me to move the weaners on, if we get any!! So I will probably let him have them at a cheaper rate to keep him happy :) I'm a bit unhappy about crawlies but it's not the end of the world all have been jabbed today so let's hope I see an improvement very soon! The boar was going for sausages 2 week ago till we found him now the missus wants to keep him!!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS