Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Using a vacuum to manage water levels in troughs  (Read 4896 times)

eastleicspig

• Joined Jul 2012
Using a vacuum to manage water levels in troughs
« on: July 05, 2012, 09:12:27 am »
Morning all

I have a 1000 ltr water bowser on a bank that in theory would allow me to use gravity to fill water troughs

Our original thinking was to use a ball cock system to keep levels at an optimum

But last night it occurred to me that a vacuum may be a better solution

Have any of you tried this or indeed have another approach (automated /semi automated ) that doesn't mean I have to lug buckets of water down to the pens

Cheers

ELP

P6te

• Joined Jan 2012
  • South Derbyshire
Re: Using a vacuum to manage water levels in troughs
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 09:38:19 am »

But last night it occurred to me that a vacuum may be a better solution

I'm interested to understand what you have in mind ... can you explain more please?

Pete
Live for today
Plan for tomorrow

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 12:06:57 pm »

Hiya,  If your tank is just a standard IBC type, I think you'll find it'll suck in (collapse) under vacuum and will hence not work.

There's an easy way to test - just fill it up, seal the lid, open the bottom outlet and watch!  If the tank empties or holds the vacuum without losing its shape too much, then you're good to go! Just make sure you have as straight a run as possible from your tank to the trough, and put the inlet to the trough just below where you want the water level to end up. You'll probably need at least a 25mm pipe to ensure that the air bubbles can 'gulp' back properly and allow the trough to re-fill.

Of course for this to work, you'll also have to break the vacuum to re-fill the tank, which means you would have to fill it from a hose or similar, rather than say rain water run-off.

Let us know how it goes!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

P6te

• Joined Jan 2012
  • South Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 12:39:25 pm »
OK ... I understand the principle, I do use a 1000l tank but it isn't sealed and has a regular flow of water (pumped from a well) to keep it fresh with overlow diverted into a nearby hedge bottom or to water plants.

I think I'll proceed to use the tank as a low pressure feed to a low pressure ball valve on the water troughs.

Any other schemes people use would be interesting to hear about too ....

Pete
Live for today
Plan for tomorrow

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 12:43:34 pm »
We use IBC's that lead to ballcocks and tehse work fine..

Is there a particular advantage that a vacuum system would have over a ballcock solution?
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

eastleicspig

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 01:46:45 pm »
Do you have any pictures of your ball cock system (  :innocent: )

As I was thinking that the piggies would wreck it and a vacuum could be just a secured 25 ml pipe (and a bung to allow for refilling )

EPL

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 05:48:22 pm »
Ah, I see what you mean, you would be adding a ballcock to an existing container, and yes if that is your plan, preventing pigs re-designing would be very hard.

We use universal drinkers from  IAE - follow the page down till you see universal drinker.  These hold 15 litres, which is plenty, and we just tie to one of the fence posts with wire.

http://www.iae.co.uk/agricultural/watertroughs/default.htm

A number of companies do similar.

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

eastleicspig

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 12:52:43 pm »
We use IBC's that lead to ballcocks and tehse work fine..

Is there a particular advantage that a vacuum system would have over a ballcock solution?

OK we have had a look at universal drinkers with the ball cock assembly inside a protective housing never knew these existed before

So we will park the vacuum theory

Thanks Oaklandspigs

P6te

• Joined Jan 2012
  • South Derbyshire
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 01:21:48 pm »
Depending upon your water source for filling the tank you will need to be careful of particles of debris blocking the valve on the ballcock.  The water in our tank is pumped automatically from a well and we do get some particles that could block the valve.  When I connect it up I'll tap off around 12" up from the base of the tank in the hope of getting as clean a supply of water as possible.

Pete
Live for today
Plan for tomorrow

robert waddell

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2012, 01:33:00 pm »
maybe the vacuum system is quite simple     but until i see one i just can not get my head round it

the self fill bowls are a dawdle to fit and maintain  but there are two types of valve lowpressure  and high pressure ones some even have a filter in them      remember to have a shut of valve fitted either at the tank or on the feed supply line      that way you can shut the water off without losing it :farmer:

princesspiggy

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2012, 03:33:08 pm »
Do you have any pictures of your ball cock system (  :innocent: )

im waiting.... ::) ::) ::) ;D ;D

P6te

• Joined Jan 2012
  • South Derbyshire
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2012, 10:19:44 am »
Here at last is the picture you were waiting for ....

The cover shown (which isn't the one for that trough - it's too small) slides into the housing and then a nut and bolt goes through the hole to prevent the pigs from lifting it.

Hope that helps?

Pete
Live for today
Plan for tomorrow

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS