Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Selling at Carboots  (Read 3555 times)

chris3000

• Joined May 2012
  • Wiltshire
Selling at Carboots
« on: July 04, 2012, 02:26:10 pm »
Hi,

Has anyone gone down the route of selling their home grown goods at Car Boots?

I am talking jams, chutneys, whole chickens, sausages, vedge etc?

We are only looking at small scale stuff but wondered if anyone had done it and could share their experience?

we have all the legal stuff covered (EHO been and happy), food safety certs etc.

Thanks

Chris
Any advice I give is purely based on my experience .... It may not be from 20 years of farming or a book I have read .... however it has worked for me.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Selling at Carboots
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 02:29:46 pm »
I've never done it but (sorry to put the dampers on your idea) I am not sure it would work.
People go to car boots expecting to get a bargain and even when things are dirt cheap will still barter for the sake of a few pence.

Having said that I have seen bakery stalls and the likes so maybe its just my perception thats wrong.
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

chris3000

• Joined May 2012
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 02:36:46 pm »
funny enough I thought the same .... however a few of my friends and family said that if they came across it they would look at it ... especially as it is not what people normally see

think I will try a few and see
Any advice I give is purely based on my experience .... It may not be from 20 years of farming or a book I have read .... however it has worked for me.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 07:16:05 am »
Choose you car boot sales carefully. Small village ones are your best bet or ones in "nice ::) " areas.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 08:53:57 am »
We went to a car boot in our local village, Offenham (very cutsie with maypole and thatched cottages etc!) and the local farm shop had a stall. She was run off of her feet - very busy and took loads of veg box orders too. She sells not only veg but cakes, locally made fudge and my soap and it went down really well that day!
I think what Sylvia says is true - pick the car boot and probably clientele carefully and you could be on a winner.

Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

ceilidhband

• Joined Jun 2011
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 07:02:13 pm »
We have recently started to sell our pork at car boots and do better than the farmers markets

chris3000

• Joined May 2012
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 08:54:32 pm »
That's fantastic (just what I wanted to hear)

Is it just local ones or do you target specific places?

sicknote

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2012, 05:02:19 pm »
We sell our Jams, Chutneys, Curds and Cupcakes at both Farmers Markets and a couple of 'select' Car Boot Sales/Markets. We find that we get a better response from the Car Boots/Markets than the Farmers Markets plus the stall costs are cheaper.

One word of warning though, have your price and stick to it. Don't be put off but people who use recycled jars, incorrect labelling etc, etc they soon come unstuck and we have found people prefer to have things properly priced and labelled even at Car Boots.

Good Luck!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS