Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Missing pullet!!  (Read 3142 times)

omnipeasant

• Joined May 2012
  • Llangurig , Mid Wales
Missing pullet!!
« on: July 01, 2012, 09:04:59 pm »
Lost a pullet tonight but found her after an extensive search. I have six sussex pullets I bought from Rosie Posie two weeks ago. I kept them in for a week and was planning a temporary run before loosing them mainly because our dogs might be a problem. However, the weather was good last week so they have been free range, gradually extending their forays into the garden.  One of the speckled sussex was missing tonight, no sign!!! Panic. Checked the trees and looked all over the garden under bushes etc but no Bumble Bee ( They are Bumble A and Bumble Bee )  Finally after poking through the undergrowth and tangling myself in brambles I found her under a tin sheet and trapped in some discarded wire mesh. (Discarded by the previous owners of our farm, you wouldn't believe the ammount of rubbish they have left in strange places) Thankfully I managed to reach her without tearing my skin too badly and returned her to the flock.

I love my chooks. In the short time I have had them I have been amazed at their individual characters. Would hate to have lost one tonight.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Missing pullet!!
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 09:27:13 pm »
I'm glad you found her  :thumbsup: Like the Bumble names  ;D

I had a young cockerel who, if he was out and about as it got dark, would just go to roost where he was, instead of coming back to the house. I spent ages looking for that bird, finding him under tin sheets, pallets, anything that made a tight angle against a wall. Fortunately a stoat never found the silly chap.

Eventually, it dawned on him that snuggling up on a perch with the girls was much better than being out on his own in the dark  ;)

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 11:38:59 pm »
Glad you found her safe. Our young pullet girls constantly tried to find new hiding homes until they came into lay. They have never been a problem since  :fc:
They are the only chooks we've had so may be just beginners luck  :innocent:

Rosie posie

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 12:15:18 am »
ooh Omnipeasant! so glad you found her, and very pleased you are enjoying them  8) :chook: :chook: :chook:

Bert

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Isle of Mull
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 07:24:17 am »
I do like a story with a happy ending  :thumbsup: :chook:

aaronsundin

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Aberdeenshire , Scotland
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 07:37:57 am »
I'm glad you found her  :thumbsup: Like the Bumble names  ;D

I had a young cockerel who, if he was out and about as it got dark, would just go to roost where he was, instead of coming back to the house. I spent ages looking for that bird, finding him under tin sheets, pallets, anything that made a tight angle against a wall. Fortunately a stoat never found the silly chap.

Eventually, it dawned on him that snuggling up on a perch with the girls was much better than being out on his own in the dark  ;)
Sometimes us blokes just don't know when we're well off !  :D

plt102

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 04:00:59 pm »
When we got our rescue hens last year I had about a week of constantly finding one hen stuck under an upturned plastic fOod dish. Not sure what she was hiding from...

omnipeasant

• Joined May 2012
  • Llangurig , Mid Wales
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 09:39:15 am »
When we got our rescue hens last year I had about a week of constantly finding one hen stuck under an upturned plastic fOod dish. Not sure what she was hiding from...

Just seen this, poorconfused little hen. Probably taking a while to adapt to the great outdoors after being confined. Glad you rescued her and her mates.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS