Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Onions bolting  (Read 2686 times)

piggy

• Joined Oct 2008
Onions bolting
« on: July 02, 2012, 10:38:28 pm »
Hi  :wave:

This is my first year growing onions,have 3 different raised beds full,the first bed i planted is fine onions looking a good size,the second bed was planted about 2 weeks later and nearly all of them have bolted,the third bed was about 2 weeks after that and they are fine.
Can i cut the tops of the bolted ones and if so will they grow anymore or do i need to pull them out.

Thanks

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
Re: Onions bolting
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 10:48:03 pm »
If you can catch them early enough - before they flower - you can just snap over the flower stalk & the bulb should fatten-up for you.  We had this problem last year too - not worked-out why as yet  ::)
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 12:52:26 am »
I think some varieties are more prone to bolting, but they also can do it if they have been stressed (cold, heat, drought, etc).  Whilst you can eat them, apart from the middle bit which is the flower stalk and tough, they won't store.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Mel

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 06:27:41 am »
I think it is the weather you know,mine are bolting and have had to cut the tops off,I always grow the same varieties and have not had the problem before this year :-\

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 07:48:40 am »
I pick the tops off as soon as I see a sign of bolting. Keeps them growing but not as big and as said the first ones to be eaten, not stored. I use them in marmalades etc.

piggy

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 08:02:38 am »
Thanks everyone,i have taken the tops off,all the onions in that bed have now bolted but fingers crossed the other 2 beds are still ok.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS